What Spark Plugs to use - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rower4VT View Post
Intriguing, and they might work...but they're damn expensive!
at $25 each , HECK ya ...... they seem like a good concept im tempted to try them out , im do for some plugs

superrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

the info on the site is bias though.........
can't believe that, there trying to sell you something

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I got a PM from someone who clamed to work for the Pulstar plugs sugesting that I try them out, so I checked over the web site... the same plug was recomended for a 2000 Metro (plug number BE-1) as for a 1985 crx hf... and for my vx... I wonder if they would recomend the same spark plug for my lawn mower and moped... now I know that my vx doesn't run as well with other brands of plugs in it, and I suspect that's because not everyone makes as close of a match as the NGK plugs.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Ryland, I'm the one that messaged you about the Pulstar plugs. About the plugs working in all your cars. It's true, but not because if it fits in the hole it's good. Heat range has to be taken into account. The plug that your cars take is an extremely common plug size and range.

The VX uses a 14mm thread, 19mm reach gasket seat plug with a heat range of NGK 4. The CRX uses a 14mm thread, 19mm reach gasket seat plug with heat range of NGK 4. The Metro uses a 14mm thread, 19mm reach gasket seat plug with heat range of NGK 6. You'll notice that the two Honda engines use the same exact plug and the only difference is the metro that runs two steps colder.

As for the mower and moped. I'm sure the mower uses a 1/2" reach gasket seat that we don't make, unless it's an OHC or OHV mower. The Honda ones use our BE-1(yeah, I laughed too). The moped is probably the same 1/2" reach story or a 12mm thread. Albuquerque Indoor Karting is going to be testing our plugs for use in the OHC Honda karts.

Our BE-1 works in the NGK range of 7-4. The plug is actually a 7 but the increased spark keeps the plug from fouling in situations where other plugs would foul because they're too cold. The GM 3800 is a perfect example. It uses our AD-1 and has a stock heat range of 4, works excellent.

I'm actually eager to get these plugs into the hands of board members here and am looking to get a group discount code for you guys.

I have some test results from cars we've recently done here. They are more performance oriented overviews but there is a bit of fuel economy data there. Actually, if anyone is in the Albuquerque, NM area we might be able to do a full test on your car.

-Kyle
Old 02-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I'm actually eager to get these plugs into the hands of board members here and am looking to get a group discount code for you guys.

-Kyle
Ok, I'll be interested to listen to more.

Do you have them for motorcycle applications? High RPM four cylinder.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
Ok, I'll be interested to listen to more.

Do you have them for motorcycle applications? High RPM four cylinder.
Our Pulstar plugs only come in 14mm threads as of yet. Most bikes take either a 12mm or 10mm threaded plug which we are working on the 12mm but it isn't out yet.

High RPM usage is no problem. When we do long term erosion tests on the plugs over a series of days we run them at 300Hz or the equivalent of a 4-stroke turning 36,000rpm constantly. The high rpm applications could benefit from the stronger spark as much as any other engine, probably more. Our Direct Hits is the best solution for the bikes as of now.

Lifetime warranty and also the 30 day money back guarantee. Pulstar has a 4 year 50,000mile warranty and 30 day money back.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Registered Member

Ok, I see, it's an add on with the Direct Hits thingy. How does that overcome the heating of the plug that the Pulstar replacement does?

I'm kind of doubting that it would fit under the airbox and all on the bike. Things are tight with stick coils and all.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
dkjones96: My Tomos scooter takes a B8ES (14mm thred, 19mm reach).
I did some checking tho on what all those fancy numbers stand for in the spark plug number, and why the VX takes a plug that no one ever has on hand, turns out the tip extends about 1/16" farther then it's more commen counterpart putting it closer to the center of the combustion chamber and takes a 5/8" socket insted of the standard 3/4 so the can fit in a tighter space.
Of course they are of a "special design" (last letter befor the -11) so there are some things that they feel we just don't need to know, I just know that when I've tried other brands of spark plugs, the tips didn't stick out as far as the NGK, and the car didn't run as smoothly.
I might be able to be talked in to getting one to try in my scooter if the price was lower, but $100 worth of spark plugs in a car? ouch! not unless the improvment in gasmileage was part of the money back warenty.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #19

I'm wary of something that threatens to deliver a million watt spark into my engine.
I suspect that opening up the spark gap on a regular plug would replicate the Pulstar 'pulse circuit'.
Either way it puts a load on the rest of the ignition system, for sure. Beyond a point the coil will be unable to cope and/or burn out.
markweatherill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 06:29 AM   #20
Registered Member

That would be the 'P' in the part number(projected tip). In Jeeps the plug extends about a quarter of an inch into the combustion chamber to try and get the spark closer to the center or the chamber. Even in those situations there is an increase in performance and mileage.

So we are clear on it, the 30-day money back covers everything. Even if you do see an increase but aren't happy with how much of one you get you can return for your money back.

I've been running these for about 15K miles and we have a Corolla that's been running them about 65K along with a Grand Marquis that's coming up on 70k with no issues.

Here is something you might find interesting. Un-retouched photo by DSport Magazine.

Our BE-1 on the left(the one that would be most popular here) and a Bosch Platinum plug on the right. Running off the same coil and everything.

Next week I'm going to be starting an album that has our plug versus a lot of different plugs out there including the Platinum 2 (maybe 4, essentially the same thing just a couple extra electrodes) and laser Iridium plugs.