World's cheapest car 50MPG - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #21
Banned

i mean the ones that came out around 1990 and before horrible handling/horrible everything and you can never quite get over 65mph cause you feel like either the engine is going to explode or you swerve into the next lane cause of horrible weight distribution/handling (im sure 12 inch rims are the shiznizzle in india but not on american roads)

spotaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #22
Banned

anything pre 1990 ford i would watch out for, give me a 1990 chevy astro any day of the week, now thats a good early 1990's van

Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
Banned

oh yea how long will a 623cc engine last btw? maybe 150k? more, less?? wouldnt it be great to hear on the news.. "Bloggers on GasSavers.org aren't to impressed with the Nano"

so im still stumped on this, what about 70mph, the nano can't go 70mph? what about all the traffic it would cause on the highway..? seems like such a bad idea to me that it won't be able to keep up with the flow of traffic... almost extremely dangerous

i could only see it's use on maybe government fleets(city-driving only delivery services maybe), but if our government is going to be investing, shouldn't it be in Chevy Volts which will pay for themselves and keep American Money in America.

folks we're only talking about an extra 5mpg here at the loss of going over 65mph
Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My dad had a 1988 Econoline but I never drove it. I drove a 1992 and a 2002.

They did make a lot of major improvements between 1988 and 1992. The 1988 had its huge sides and roof unsupported, just wide expanses of sheet metal that could billow in the wind or crush if you look at it cross-eyed. By 1992 they had added structures on the inside to stiffen the metal (and presumably the whole vehicle). I imagine the older design was a lot lighter, though.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #25
Registered Member

I would be concerned about aftermarket/ replacement parts support.
For $8,000, I could buy a [comfortable] car, mod it to get 50+mpg, and have the ability to get junkyard parts (when needed), and have $$ left over. I love the direction they're going, though, and really hope it catches on.
My next project is going to be a 50+mpg car for less than $3,000.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:07 PM   #26
Registered Member

project? i got $1K? go find a diesel chevette.. instant 50+ mpg right outa the box...hehehhe(thier acceleration was slower than the gas version)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 AM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
project? i got $1K? go find a diesel chevette.. instant 50+ mpg right outa the box...hehehhe(thier acceleration was slower than the gas version)
Hmmm. Sounds interesting.

BTW, all that talk about vans reminds me that long before I knew anyone remotely interested in FE, I got my '75 ? Chevy van with a 350 to get 21mpg (with alot of work). FE has been my hobby for over 20 years, and many very different vehicles.
fowljesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #28
Registered Member

Yeah, I kinda consider it a challenge and I havent even been around for 20 years myself

And out here south of the mason dixon line... with all our big H2's, F850's and such, the tata would just be a minor speedbump to most of us. Wouldnt even know what we hit till we look in the rear view mirror.

BTW, for a project even a 16 year old can handle, Does anyone know about how much work it is to redo the heads/ head gaskets on a 1.6L DHOC honda motor? Thats my project. Bought it for $400. A '95 civic, straight body, 170k miles and cracked headgasket.

Going GTO once I finally get a job. Stayin pontiac all the way.
NotYourDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #29
Registered Member

Head and gasket should be a pretty easy job for a 16 year old. I did rings and bearings on a Corvair when I was 16, head and gasket would be just a small part of that. Take head to a machine shop, have it checked for warpage, have the valves done. A gasket set may be included with their price, or they may sell you one. Replace timing belt. If you have a mentor available (father, older brother, friend or maybe high school auto shop teacher), make use of that resource whenever necessary. Other folks may have good hints.

As per the Tata, if it lists for 8 grand, look it to be carried by other dealers -- advertised at a deep discount, probably 4-5 grand, serial number 123456 (1 only at this price). Might be a good traffic builder.

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote