ECU remapping on a big Dodge dakota - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-27-2008, 03:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

ECU remapping on a big Dodge dakota

Most of the discussions focus around the already semi efficient vehicles. But I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota and need to keep it but still would like to improve economy. I would like to remap the ECU but don't know if these vehicles are reprogramable. Does anyone know if they are and where to do to get what I need?

Currently getting about 14 in town and if I go 60-62 mph I can pull 19-20 on the highway. Would love to get it to 17/23.

PS - I use every fuel savings technique I know of to include rolling through every stop sign and am prepaird to let the Police know why

cgbjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #2
Registered Member

dakodas have never been really FE for their size...

i haven't heard of anything and i doubt it would help that much...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Disconnect the EGR. Get a high flow CAT and muffler. Get NGK Vpower plugs. Increase the tire pressure +5 over the max rating or get new tires with 65psi rating.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbjake View Post
Most of the discussions focus around the already semi efficient vehicles. But I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota and need to keep it but still would like to improve economy. I would like to remap the ECU but don't know if these vehicles are reprogramable. Does anyone know if they are and where to do to get what I need?

Currently getting about 14 in town and if I go 60-62 mph I can pull 19-20 on the highway. Would love to get it to 17/23.

PS - I use every fuel savings technique I know of to include rolling through every stop sign and am prepaird to let the Police know why
I had a 2004 5-speed manual, 4.7L V8 Dakota and would get 23 on the Hwy.

First, if you have the factory electric fan... you can remove the engine fan with no problems. Test drive the truck for a few miles after removal and see if the electric fan meets your cooling needs before taking my word on it!

Second, put a Checkmate fiberglass bed cover on your ride. They are very lightweight and help smooth out the aerodynamics of the truck.

Third, consider a Hotchkis suspension kit. The kit will lower your truck about 3" (reducing drag) and give you a much more responsive suspension.

Finally, find some lighter tires.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Registered Member

oh a word on those checkmate covers now: they got bought out or somehting and now the prices of the flushmount hard top's are 3X more expensive...

id build my own flushmount hard top
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

Cool

Fan came off pretty easy by using a vise grip to hold the sides of the pully and a big cresent wrench. Only 5 miles so far, but I "think" the Throttle position is decreased. I'll post more after I go through a tank...so if it improves from the latest of 13 MPG

cgbjake is offline   Reply With Quote