HAI Experiment - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
NovaResource keeps posting about a "10mpg" improvement as if it's some crazy unattainable number, but it's only 31%. It's certainly worthwhile and certainly significant, but it's not some crazy pie-in-the-sky achievement. I suppose it would be for a Chevy Nova, though.
I getcha. You meant that 31% isn't "obviously brain dead", not that it isn't appreciable. I guess that sort of thing's a bit subjective, hence the disagreements.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #32
Registered Member

I just have a hard time with someone saying that someone elses experiment isn't good enough when they haven't conducted their own.

are their flaws in his findings? too many variables? maybe but he has some sort of data. better than the man shouting from the side lines. as far as the variables, I left my dyno in my other pants and my wind tunnel was lost at the cleaners. there are always going to be variables. a short run (less than 100 miles) isn't the best test track to use because of the distance but at least he did a test. more than the rest can say.

if you want to say that his test isn't good enough, that's fine. I will be waiting in great anticipation for the results on your test.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
I getcha. You meant that 31% isn't "obviously brain dead", not that it isn't appreciable. I guess that sort of thing's a bit subjective, hence the disagreements.
Yup. In computer programming terms: It passes a sanity check.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #34
Registered Member

philip: I see in first pic for the hot air your Sg showing 139. What readings did you get with the cold air intake??

LxMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Yup. In computer programming terms: It passes a sanity check.
Perfect way of putting it. Jealous I didn't!

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Is anybody arguing that WAI has been definitively proved? That's not even the question I really care about at the moment. "Should I bother giving it a shot?" is more my focus.
I say, yes, give it a shot. Try it over the long haul but also go back to the standard intake and see if the increase (or decrease) goes back. Just try to keep the test free from other variables if possible.
GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #37
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaResource View Post
I say, yes, give it a shot. Try it over the long haul but also go back to the standard intake and see if the increase (or decrease) goes back. Just try to keep the test free from other variables if possible.
That right there is A-B-A testing, which is exactly what is needed.

To continue without additional data might be a little like this:
Old 03-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #38
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I just have a hard time with someone saying that someone elses experiment isn't good enough when they haven't conducted their own.
You don't need to conduct your own experiment to know when another is flawed. But if you want me to, I will conduct my own. I'll use this week as the base line of a stock intake. Then I will fill-up on Friday like I usually do and remove the air horn from the air-cleaner assembly to outside the engine compartment. That way it will take in just warm engine-compartment air and we'll see what happend next week. But I can tell you now even my test will be flawed but I will do my best to keep the variables as few as possible. This should work since I only use my car for work now and my daily commute is the same week to week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I will be waiting in great anticipation for the results on your test.
So will I.
GasSavers_NovaResource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #39
Registered Member

remember friend, I have been here almost a year and have gas logs that have over 15,000 miles in them. I have done my fair share of experimentation and sharing with the group (positive sharing). If I recall correctly, didn't you shoot him down immediately saying his experiment was BS? that doesn't sound like positive anything.

I have seen 45% above EPA in my car so I know that the WAI works and many others have seen similar success. I am still running almost 35% over EPA during the winter time. Oh yea, it's an automatic trans too.

do what you please, it doesn't matter to me. this thread has already told me what I need to know about you.

have fun with your 5% increase. maybe you should work on your numbers before criticizing other.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #40
Registered Member

I figured out another reason WAI feels less unlikely (double negative intentional) than one of those vortex air intakes: a downside. Those scam products usually claim all upside. WAI advocates freely admit that max hp will suffer. Again, doesn't prove anything one way or the other.

co de pen den cy