my friends car gets same mileage no matter what? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Registered Member

its the whole tank. pumped the tires to 44, then went straight to fill it up to 11 gallons from empty, and for the whole tank it was all slow driving without flooring it + drafting..

the thing is a brick aerodymanically tho..

civic94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:02 AM   #12
Registered Member

One data point does not a conclusion make.

Keep trying.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:19 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
its the whole tank. pumped the tires to 44, then went straight to fill it up to 11 gallons from empty, and for the whole tank it was all slow driving without flooring it + drafting..

the thing is a brick aerodymanically tho..
Don't bother with whole tanks. Do nothing but round trip checks. Ideally, with the same weather. Only do highway if you want to compare highway mileage, which means fill-up and get on, then get-off and fill-up, and use map quest to find the distance while checking the clock to find the time. That'll give you the average speed for a trip.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM   #14
Registered Member

This CRV is 4wd, right? Is it made so it can switch over into fwd (two wheels only?). The extra mechanics for 4wd are a continuing load on the engine that 2wd cars don't have.

And as others mentioned, anything else happening could change things. Weather warmer or cooler, rain, AC switched on because it's warmer out, windows openor shut, etc. etc.

Optimize engine speed. The highest gear you can manage for the speed. Even with auto tranny you can work the pedal to try keep it up in the higher gears.

And I suspect your friend really has to learn about anticipating lights and traffic. The better you learn to glide through that stuff the better off you are.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:45 AM   #15
Registered Member

I didn't see anyone mention this, but I may have missed it. Make sure that your friend isn't maxing out his RPMs at 55 on the highway. He could be driving slower, but still be at the top of a gear. So be sure that he sits at the bottom of his highest gear. 55mph is not a blanket speed for most efficient gas mileage.
dhotwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
my friend has a 06 crv se, 4x4 5 speed auto.

he gets 24 mpg average before he started to do a challenge to get 30 mpg. normally, he drives 70 mph, goes into VTEC twice per day, and doesnt draft trucks.

then last week he wanted to try to hit 30 mpg, so i helped him pump all his tires from 29 psi to 44, and he never floored the gas pedal, went 55 mph all the time, 60 when a cars behind him, and drafted trucks about 4 times out of the whole tank. he put in 11 gallons and came out with 270 miles, which goes to 24.5 mpg.

is there something wrong or its just how the new honda's are?

also a scanguage 2 is on the way to be installed
contrary to the popular belief and what's posted on this board, drafting can easily hurt gas mileage

you only get a gain if you are drafting at the same speed or slower then you would be going without drafting

here's an example;

my car does about 40 mpg doing 62 mph...this is so far the ideal speed in my car for fe by the way

if I draft behind a big rig doing 70 then my mpg goes down to about 36 mpg, this doesn't even include the gas it takes to excellerate to that 70 mph

now, if the rig was also doing about 62 (or less) then my mileage would increase but the rigs go fater then I go and drafting costs gas it doesn't save it

so that might be why the mileage is unimproved
perris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #17
Registered Member

Need more fillups to draw conclusion

Your friend really needs to stick with this for a while to really draw a conclusion. As other members have indicated, one data point isn't enough to identify a trend. Over time and several fillups, any spikes created by things like different pumps, will diminish and become insignificant.

ready4sea is offline   Reply With Quote