5w20 or 0w20 where to find?? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

I don't know if your interested but Amsoil offers 0W30 synthetic. I've been using it for years on my 350Z. The pressure has always been high, even in very hot weather. The oil's expensive but doesn't need to be changed for 35,000 miles or one year, whichever's first. My owner's manual says to use 10W30 or 10W40, but Amsoil's product chart says they recommend 0W30 for my car.

gto78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

anybody experiment with using a lighter oil? develop leaks or decrease in oil pressure?

guest001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest001 View Post
are those all synthetics?

I don't shop at walmart, so I'll have to look elsewhere.

whats wrong with walmart, are you too good for it?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
anybody experiment with using a lighter oil? develop leaks or decrease in oil pressure?

i ran 0-20 mobile 1 when i got it on closeout for a buck a quart. then i ran 5-20. i noticed i burned a little in my 120k civic- just a bit, maybe a quart every 3k. so i switched to 10-30 synthetic and i burn maybe a pint in 3k. i do not have a pressure guage but thinner oil will flow more, get into more places, and carry away more heat. the slightly thicker oil will not go past the rings as readily. the differance in milage was below 1 mpg but "i think" the was a slight loss with thicker viscosity which would make sence as it takes more energy to pump and more energy to get it out of the way when the whirring things hit it. the pressure will be fine with any oil that the manufacturer of your car recommended. If you really want to get both miss and in formed go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and potentially spend the rest of your life reading about oil. oil opinions seem to be just after religion and politics in getting people all spiced up.
mini-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChoi View Post
whats wrong with walmart, are you too good for it?
tho my wife does our shopping there, i do not frequent walmart very often. reason is, i fancy saving the zoo experience for the zoo!

my apologies as we digress.

back on target: i personally would not use a 20 weight oil unless it was in severe cold weather, irrespective of what the manufacturer recommends. i use 0W 30 amsoil as well BTW.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
tho my wife does our shopping there, i do not frequent walmart very often. reason is, i fancy saving the zoo experience for the zoo!

my apologies as we digress.

back on target: i personally would not use a 20 weight oil unless it was in severe cold weather, irrespective of what the manufacturer recommends. i use 0W 30 amsoil as well BTW.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-e View Post
i ran 0-20 mobile 1 when i got it on closeout for a buck a quart. then i ran 5-20. i noticed i burned a little in my 120k civic- just a bit, maybe a quart every 3k. so i switched to 10-30 synthetic and i burn maybe a pint in 3k. i do not have a pressure guage but thinner oil will flow more, get into more places, and carry away more heat. the slightly thicker oil will not go past the rings as readily. the differance in milage was below 1 mpg but "i think" the was a slight loss with thicker viscosity which would make sence as it takes more energy to pump and more energy to get it out of the way when the whirring things hit it. the pressure will be fine with any oil that the manufacturer of your car recommended. If you really want to get both miss and in formed go to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and potentially spend the rest of your life reading about oil. oil opinions seem to be just after religion and politics in getting people all spiced up.
interesting, yeah a quart every oil change is just a little much. a little oil is burned normally, but I'm pretty sure a quart is beyond normal. I can't find any general specs. of normal consumption. I have a oil pressure gauge I would be curious to see what it does to pressure. though I wouldn't even buy it unless they started selling this viscositys with the cheap brands.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
Registered Member

I just got back from autozone and they have a 0w20 with an SM rating for $2.19. I didn't get it cause it's for an older car I have with dam near 200k. I tempted to use it on a civic that I just rebuilt the motor in.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:38 AM   #19
Registered Member

The difference between -20 and -30 isn't much, 2 to 3 centistrokes IRRC, at running temp. There is a greater difference at the 'cold' temp of 40C, which becomes greater with 0w over 5w.

Ford back certified many of their engines for 5w-20. The Ranger's oil cap says 5w-30, but Ford now says 5w-20 for it now.
Toyota also recertified a few models for it, and Honda likely did also. There should be a TSB out if they did so.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:55 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
interesting, yeah a quart every oil change is just a little much. a little oil is burned normally, but I'm pretty sure a quart is beyond normal. I can't find any general specs. of normal consumption. I have a oil pressure gauge I would be curious to see what it does to pressure. though I wouldn't even buy it unless they started selling this viscositys with the cheap brands.
Had a '65 Mercury Comet once...in the owners manual they said consuming a quart of oil every thousand miles was well within reason...

My Geo used to go about 1k more or less per quart...I've been using Wal-Mart 5W-30 synthetic...as I've been using the car, my distance per quart has been improving...now I go over 2K per quart....

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote