Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #121
Registered Member

Re: Yup, the kill-o-wat meter is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
Methinks your calcs might be wrong. Is the 6A an input or output number. I think it is an output number. So 12V x 6A x 4 = 288W.
you're right. thanks for the correction.

and, what nasty charger inefficiency. very interesting. also, not surprising now that i think of how hot the charger gets when it's in use for any length of time.
Actually, the output is more like 13.5V while charging so the efficiency is closer to 59%

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #122
Driving on E

Re: chargelog. that's

Quote:
has anyone here ever shipped a motor? or received one shipped to them (you have, right matt)? i've specified preferred pick-up on teamswift - that may be part of why it hasn't sold (in addition to being the least desired motor in the suzukiclone pecking order after the 1.3 dohc and the 1.0).

thing is, i have no idea how to "package" it properly and would have to check international issues, since the buyer would probably be south of the border.
I purchased a motor from a company in Southern California. They charged me $200 to ship, but I'm certain I was ripped of there.

You want to look into a freight service. DHL, FedEX, and UPS all offer freight services. It's cheaper to deliever to a business than residential when using freight.

When the guy delievered my engine he was so relieved that I was actually home. I looked on the street and he was driving a GIANT truck. I swear it was a semi, but I can't remember. The engine was on a pallete, which it still sits on.

This is why engines are so expensive to ship on ebay, but if you're willing to do it (and the buyer is as well) then I say you go for it.

You also have two possible scenarios. You could part the engine out (sell the head, the pistons, etc.) which woudl make it much easier to ship. You could also just keep the engine as a spare for when your engine dies.

OR, build a kick-*** go-kart.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:31 PM   #123
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:OR, build a kick-***

Quote:
I've considered doing this, but it would be so damn difficult to get it road legal. I mean, what fun is a go-kart if you can't scare the **** out of unsuspecting security moms in their SUVs and minivans by suddenly shooting out from beside them at over double the legal speed limit?
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #124
Driving on E

Re: Quote:OR, build a kick-***

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
Quote:
I've considered doing this, but it would be so damn difficult to get it road legal. I mean, what fun is a go-kart if you can't scare the **** out of unsuspecting security moms in their SUVs and minivans by suddenly shooting out from beside them at over double the legal speed limit?
It would be way cool though, and you know it.

A 700 lbs go-kart with a 90 HP engine.

That was be so freaking cool. I bet it would get awesome gas mileage too.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #125
*shrug*

I'm surprised metro motors

I'm surprised metro motors even sell. I guess honda motors are so free because there're powerful replacements to them, *shrug*
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #126
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Quote:It would be way cool

Quote:
It would be way cool though, and you know it.

A 700 lbs go-kart with a 90 HP engine.

That was be so freaking cool. I bet it would get awesome gas mileage too.
Would one build a streamlined body with roughly a .18 drag coefficient and 8 square foot frontal area, it would be very reasonable to expect 150 mpg.
The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #127
Driving on E

Re: chargelog. that's

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I purchased a motor from a company in Southern California. They charged me $200 to ship, but I'm certain I was ripped of there.
ow. yeah, it's not going to be practical to ship it. i think my asking price is now down to around $95 for the motor, and still nobody wants it. so i can't see it selling, even if shipping is going to be 1/2 what you paid. i guess i'll just keep dropping the price and see what happens.

the 1.0 out of the blue car should sell easier, even though it doesn't seem to run as well.
Do you have a craigslist in your area? It's a great place to advertise.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #128
Driving on E

Re: small town. no craigslist.

Quote:
small town. no craigslist. closest list is for ottawa - 100 km away. but i posted an ad there anyway, thanks for the idea.

and while i was writing up the ad, someone contacted me through teamswift looking for the 1.3 for his sidekick. it's the first bite so far, and he signed up on teamswift just to contact me. so maybe that will work out.
That's a good thing. Odds are he signed up just to contact you. i know I've done that more than once before on some forums. I'm sure it annoys the admins, but whatever.

Good luck selling it. The thing I've learned is that sometimes you just have to have patience with these things. I'm still having people contact me for items I listed on other sites for sale last September.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #129
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
torch work

Heat the area up to be welded a little first then wire brush the undercoating off so you don't breath the fumes and start fires.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #130
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Curtis

Good deal on the curtis! Definately you should use it, control is important when using this kind of power and it will control the load put on your batteries better.

Puddy knife on the undercoat - the stuff is designed to stay on and not be easy to remove, maybe some compressed air from a long metal hose with a nozzle when it starts smoking and burning to blow it off.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote