Electric conversion: Project ForkenSwiift - Page 75 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #741
Registered Member

Also, I made a cable end lug with coarser strand 3/0. It didn't turn out quite as well as the fine strand stuff - more prone to cracking when flattening/drilling as I suspected it would be. But it worked OK.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 AM   #742
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BigMouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Also, I made a cable end lug with coarser strand 3/0. It didn't turn out quite as well as the fine strand stuff - more prone to cracking when flattening/drilling as I suspected it would be. But it worked OK.
I ordered myself 30 feet of 3/0 welding cable (fine stranded stuff). Hopefully I'll get enough area out of the end to drill the 1/2" holes for the lugs on the motor. I may just have to splurge on the the 6 or so cable ends I'll need. NiCad battery cells use solid interconnects, not cables, so I won't have all that many to do. Good info though!

GasSavers_BigMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:23 AM   #743
Registered Member

You should be able to get the area for 1/2 in. holes. It's up to you really - how much you flatten the end before/after dipping it in the "solder pot".

How much voltage have you collected so far?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #744
Registered Member

Added a refinement to the end-making DIY:

You don't have to pre-fill the solder pot/crucible. You can just feed solder into the side of the cable at the neck. It's heavy - it'll run down the strands as well as up.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #745
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
For someone with a lot more voltage & power in their pack, it's a problem.
Like a KillaSwift?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #746
Registered Member

Yep! 'Cept that wasn't controller failure, that was full-on wetware failure!

Fortunately, neither he nor the bike (nor the minivan) were really hurt.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #747
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
The reason for the pedal-actuated contactor is: in case of controller failure, the driver's first instinct is to release the go pedal, theoretically cutting power pretty much instantly (assuming it doesn't weld). If we omit it, then a split second is lost, before jamming down the clutch pedal to mechanically shut things down.
Is this a problem? I've done a bit of EV reading (likely not as much as you) and I haven't come across a "WOT" controller failure (yet).

So theoretically, turning the ignition off (in this worst case scenario controller failure) would do the same thing on an ignition based contactor. I know, split second reaction time lost....

So is it really a problem?

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #748
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_BigMouse Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_BigMouse
Quote:
You should be able to get the area for 1/2 in. holes. It's up to you really - how much you flatten the end before/after dipping it in the "solder pot".

How much voltage have you collected so far?
I'm up to about 68 volts worth. About half way there :-)
GasSavers_BigMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:02 AM   #749
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Is this a problem? I've done a bit of EV reading (likely not as much as you) and I haven't come across a "WOT" controller failure (yet).
You know, in the year and a half I've been following the EVDL, 2 Cursit failure stories jump to mind (there are undoubtedly more) - and they were "fully closed throttle" failures.

I haven't actually read about a WOT controller failure, though I'm sure if you ask on the EVDL, you'll get some.

Still, everyone insists controllers will fail fully on, and they're basically ticking time bombs...
Old 09-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #750
Registered Member

Note re. controller failures: DC controllers may fail ON. Apparently this is one of the other benefits of AC, which fail OFF.

---

Clack, clack, clack! I hooked up a second, identical contactor, this one not bolted to the unibody, and it's much more reasonable in terms of noisyness. Still louder than nothing, but nowhere near the volume of the shock tower mounted one ... probably acceptable.

So it looks OK if we can soft mount the pack +ve contactor and run it off the low pedal potbox microswitch. I'll probably still try to insulate it to keep it as quiet as possible...