I'll eventually install a ceramic heater for heating. I wasn't going to mess with any generators on this car. Haven't had much chance to work on the project in a while, lots of life changes, but the higher gas prices go the more motivated I get ;-)
The project is not dead! I've collected over 130 NiCd cells ranging from 36-42Ah each (1.2v). I hadn't had a chance to work on the project in the last couple months, mostly because of a change in jobs. Left the aviation field for something more profitable, but before leaving, I took full advantage of my flight benefits. Traveled during all my free time, using up all my remaining vacation time as well. Finally starting to get a bit settled in my new job now, so I felt some motivation to get back to work. This evening, I spent most of my time cleaning out some clutter in my garage so I actually COULD work on something. Once that was to a point where to garage was usable again, I grabbed my variac, two block diodes, a 3-prong plug, and some appliance wire. With these items, I started putting together what will be my battery charger. I bought a variac that claims to have a voltage output of 0-140vac with a 120v input, but I can't get any more than 120 out of it. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, not tapping it right or something. I need to get over 120 if i'm going to charge a 120v battery pack.
anyway, after losses through the rectifier, I'm getting 106-107vdc. Definately need to bump that up unless I want to drop my pack votlage to 90 or so. Which I don't want to do.
Next on the list, make bus-bars for the cells from copper pipe, run the cables, order replacement parts for my motor control (fried what I've got, trying again), make cable ends... the list goes on.
Got my variac wiring figured out and hooked up 78v worth of batteries with aluminum bus bars (probably a bad idea, but copper is so $$$).
Anyway, charging the pack now at 4-5a, water level is coming up on the batts, so that's good. Still trying to decide what to do for a controller, will probably keep messing with making my own until it proves too difficult, then just buy a curtis or something. Next thing to try is the open source one I found on the EV list a while back.
Anyway, just a quick update to keep the thread alive.