Car details lost when editing description - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #1

Car details lost when editing description

When editing my car's description, the details were lost when clicking save. The description itself wss left intact.

Edit a Car: Audi A2 TDI 1.4PD
Error: Please make sure you enter a car model.

Sometimes this happens to the gearbox/engine/fuel type info, but this time it seemed to clear out the model etc as well.

I do modify my cars description quite frequently and I have a loss of secondary data perhaps one time in 20. But this is only the second time that the model information has been lost.

MMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
pb

I know you've reported that you lose the manual vs. auto setting when you update your profile, and I've looked carefully over the code to see if I can figure out why it's happening and I haven't been able to find a cause.

Is there anything unusual about your browsing setup? What browser and operating system are you using? Are you running any browser plugins that could interfere with JavaScript? Maybe if I know a bit more about what you're running it will help me narrow things down.l

pb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

Hi Paul,

This is IE8.0.6001.18702IS, XP pro 32-bit service pack 3, running on a corporate network. Plugins are Adobe shockwave flash, adobe PDF link helper, Java. There is the usual overzealous corporate security stuff to lock down the machines.

What happens if the page is truncated when loading? Could that prevent the edit from happening, or corrupt the edit? (Just fishing for ideas here). I have previously glanced at the javascript, but JS is a closed book to me so I couldn't tell if a truncated page could cause this sort of issue or not.

-Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 AM   #4

PS I don't recall ever having had this issue at home (using Opera 12/Win7), but I tend to edit from my work PC most frequently.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
pb

Yeah, if the page doesn't load completely that could absolutely do it. Also, if you have trouble resolving the domains of the some of the helper scripts, that could also do it. So if your browser is having trouble reaching either of these files that load in the background:

https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/lib.../jquery.min.js

https://www.fuelly.com/scripts/selec...-custom-v2e.js

it could cause issues with loading in the correct model.

If you refresh the page does the problem go away?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
pb

Another thing to try: before you enter your new car description, click the "change type" link at the top of the page next to "Current Type: [car model]".

Take a look at the settings there and make sure they're all filled in. If they're not, do a hard refresh of the page. In IE8 that's Ctrl + Refresh. Check the model with "change type" again, make sure it's all there, write your new description, save.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #7

Both of those domains resolve OK, I could load in the .js for each.

It's an intermittent problem, so I will keep an eye out & let you know if the ctrl-refresh fixes the edit page the next time the problem occurs (could be anything from days to months).

-Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #8

Weird behaviour this evening. Edited it a couple of times, OK, went back to the car page via the home-page-banner, the trans/fuel/engine details were missing. Edit car/edit type, make/model/year were OK, but the transmission/fuel/engine options were greyed out (+ could not be selected).

Cancelled out without saving, went back to the car page, still bad, went back to the car page again without saving, it was ok.

Edited ... the make/model/year/engine/transmission were OK, but the fuel type entry was greyed out. Went back to the car page without saving ... everything was OK again.

This was from Opera 12 (desktop edition) on Win7.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #9

Body-style was one of the ones which were (intermittently) greyed out.

It's really strange. Tonight it seems to be bad 1/3 of the time and good the other 2/3.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #10

The same with repeatedly hard-refreshing (ctrl-R) when on the edit screen. It's good most of the time, but perhaps one time in 4 or 5, some of the edits are greyed out (sometimes just one, sometimes the 3 bodystyle/engine/fuel/transmission).