Any advice for the college bound? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > The Pub > General Discussion (Off-Topic)
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #11
Driving on E

Re: Quote:You'll find that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
This might've been the best advice I have gotten from a former teacher. He told me this last week, right now he's at stanford getting his masters in whatev, being a dork I guess.

I don't plan on suffering, school I like, I plan to be there forever in one sense or another,
I moved to California from Illinois when I was 16. I then lived there for 10 years before moving here to Utah.

I can't think of a single friend I communicate with from high school in California. I communicate with a few (2 or 3) from Illinois.

Most of my "life long" friends I met elsewhere. Sadly I didn't make too many friends in college either, mainly because I was so busy making a living.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
I have only 4 real

I have only 4 real friends.

The one I live near I haven't contacted in two months. The others? Been years.

My friends and I used to blow stuff up and generally terrorize the city we lived in with random Beavis and Butthead-esque bouts of stupidity. I can't count the number of times we ran from police, but they never got us! I'd have to say my favorite random act of stupidity was sticking some homeade chordite and a 30-30 rifle bullet on a railroad track, and watching a train pass over it. I still got a scar from some of the shrapnel embedding itself in my arm. Ah, to be 13 again, I so should have videotaped that... :smile:

I'm by no means old, 21 today, but I certainly have no problem keeping my friends few. Up until eighth grade, I literally had none. I spent my preteen childhood in my pajamas either reading anything I could get ahold of, doing illegal things with the telephone lines, drawing, writing angsty morbid goth poetry, or playing various RPGs.

Middle/High school was spent blowing **** up, reading, drawing, writing angsty morbid goth poetry, getting into fights, and getting drunk.

College? Studying my *** off, occassionally smoking reefer, working on my electric car, reading, drawing, and getting laid.

To me, human interaction was secondary to the things I wished to spend my time on. But with the internet, it has shifted form. I like to exchange information, and had much difficulty achieving that in the real world.

Go onto college and enjoy it. You may have been waiting to have access to its resources for a long time, only .you never knew it and never found similar interaction in high schools or elsewhere.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
Registered Member

Re: I have only 4 real

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I have only 4 real friends.

The one I live near I haven't contacted in two months. The others? Been years.

My friends and I used to blow stuff up and generally terrorize the city we lived in with random Beavis and Butthead-esque bouts of stupidity. I can't count the number of times we ran from police, but they never got us! I'd have to say my favorite random act of stupidity was sticking some homeade chordite and a 30-30 rifle bullet on a railroad track, and watching a train pass over it. I still got a scar from some of the shrapnel embedding itself in my arm. Ah, to be 13 again, I so should have videotaped that... :smile:

I'm by no means old, 21 today, but I certainly have no problem keeping my friends few. Up until eighth grade, I literally had none. I spent my preteen childhood in my pajamas either reading anything I could get ahold of, doing illegal things with the telephone lines, drawing, writing angsty morbid goth poetry, or playing various RPGs.

Middle/High school was spent blowing **** up, reading, drawing, writing angsty morbid goth poetry, getting into fights, and getting drunk.

College? Studying my *** off, occassionally smoking reefer, working on my electric car, reading, drawing, and getting laid.

To me, human interaction was secondary to the things I wished to spend my time on. But with the internet, it has shifted form. I like to exchange information, and had much difficulty achieving that in the real world.

Go onto college and enjoy it. You may have been waiting to have access to its resources for a long time, only .you never knew it and never found similar interaction in high schools or elsewhere.
haha ****ing awesome story! Lets see i moved a lot, so I never got to know any of my friends for a long period of time. Even though they were good people and all, there was something missing. Then I made a perminant move over here in B.C the west side of Canada I've been here before, in fact I was born here! I don't know why I went to the east but it sure sucked a lot of balls there. So here I am luckly got hooked with another group thanks to pc gaming, but for these folks i met it was more than that.

They taught me to open my mind as I open theirs, and there was this bond we all had even up till today. Sure the group had a long history, but I was glad to be a part of it. Almost changed me in a way and to this day we all still keep in touch daily via IRC. As some worked after high school and some went to school, we still managed to hang out and do at least some things we used to do although never the same as those youthful years. Now its more on trying to surivive and getting together to share those experiences.

As for colleage, I took one semester and dropped out after realizing how many of I were taking Information Technology. It was such a turn off and to be someone different I had to drop out and rethink why and how am I going to get through life if I can't stand being in school?

Then I took two years off and lived as a person trying just to live as if he just graduated from high school. Job after job after realizing how much ****tier life is without education, I turned to drugs and the internet for help. Next thing you know I got into a relationship (breaking her long distance she was currently on and then starting a family next thing you know it...

Now i'm back to school and fighting to climb the ranks to show the world what people with education should do...

Educate others for the better, hopefully a goal like Safety Health Inspector will suit me for the green status I have hehehehe. When I say green I mean in every aspect in how I do things ^^
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #14

Re: I have only 4 real

Drink beer! And don't take the brown acid!

Nah. On a serious note, the best piece of advice I can give you is to not focus all your efforts on studying...try to enjoy the college experience as well - ALL of it. I found that the key is to keep an equal balance between school work and the social aspects of college. Don't be in a rush to get out either. EVERY one of my friends that got out in four or less are kicking themselves in the *** for rushing it. Take it from me, a sixth year senior - get the most enjoyment from your college experience!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

I took a short break between

I took a short break between graduating high school and beginning college.... about 11 years. I would highly recommend against that route. It is not fun being married and thirty something and in college.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:58 AM   #16
Registered Member

Check the bulletin boards/

Check the bulletin boards/ posters. There is stuff going on all the time (free stuff too). Go to class (skipping is a bad idea)! Don't study too much. Don't drink to much.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:25 PM   #17
*shrug*

Quote:Take it from me, a

Quote:
Take it from me, a sixth year senior - get the most enjoyment from your college experience!
4 years is plenty for me, 46k a year is a little too much to lollygag around. Plus I plan on a masters and mehbe phd since teaching is my passion, so it's not like I won't be in school for ever.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
*shrug*

Quote:Don't drink to

Quote:
Don't drink to much.
No worries there. I detest drugs.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 PM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to mtbiker278
Drugs are bad...

That's what 90% of my friends said before going. Now they're all potheads.
mtbiker278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #20
*shrug*

Indeed, well, I have a

Indeed, well, I have a reason at least and have had plenty of access to free marijuana from plenty of sources, so I don't fancy that I'll suddenly decide I'd love to go be a pothead. Personally I'd rather shoot myself in the head, but that's just me.