One thing to keep in mind...... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-25-2006, 10:08 AM   #1

One thing to keep in mind......

Everyone posting on here comes from different backgrounds, different ages and has made different life decisions. What was right for me at 20 was not right for me at 30 and will not be right for me at 40. The areas in which we live change as well. Commutes, finances, even our relationships ictate choices we make.

I am only saying that sometimes we could possibly be more open to the fact that our current opinions of others decsions and questions could be more positive and less pointed. If people are here for any reason to discuss fuel economy they are here for the "right" reason. Just because 25% increase in MPG on a Aveo is less actual miles per gallon then say 25% on a Civic, a set of decisions and reasons got each owner to their car, commute and status in life. Some day you may be in the same boat you currently throw bombs at. I know I am.

ketel0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #2
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketel0ne
Everyone posting on here comes from different backgrounds, different ages and has made different life decisions. What was right for me at 20 was not right for me at 30 and will not be right for me at 40. The areas in which we live change as well. Commutes, finances, even our relationships ictate choices we make.

I am only saying that sometimes we could possibly be more open to the fact that our current opinions of others decsions and questions could be more positive and less pointed. If people are here for any reason to discuss fuel economy they are here for the "right" reason. Just because 25% increase in MPG on a Aveo is less actual miles per gallon then say 25% on a Civic, a set of decisions and reasons got each owner to their car, commute and status in life. Some day you may be in the same boat you currently throw bombs at. I know I am.
Excellent point. Just one year ago I could never picture myself owning a "big" car. By my standards a Honda Fit is "big."

Life situations change. Of course if everyone owned a Honda Insight we'd all be getting great gas mileage, but that just won't happen. Not only can't most people afford a small hybrid, but most of us have families to haul around, etc.

One of the greatest things about this site is that everyone does not have the same car.

Anyway...

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

I always believe its not the car/truck that pollutes its the DRIVER. I don't care if you drive a hummer with 22 spinners, if you hypermile, your cool in my books! (I yet have to meet such a person... only hypermilers I know are online

Open your eyes to a driving style you'll never want to give up because the more you do it, the more money you'll save! And plus competition is healthy assuming no one plays dirty :P
Old 09-26-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yeah , exactly rite guys.- differing circumstances require different solutions an dits good to keep that in mind when recomending mods etc. to others.

I am up for 2 sets of new tyres (we swap to studded in winter time) so in the next few weeks ime off to the tyre store to try and strike a good deal.

In my investigations of high milage tyres it seems that most are offering up to the 5% improvement mark.
With my handy calculator I was running the numbers through it comparing the gas cost savings (my gas is 1.90USD per Litre) and the cost of the tyres themsleves over the cost of standard tyres.

It was close , but it worked out that it would take 5 years for me to justify the cost of the FE tyres.
Because the tyres are only on for 8 months of the year perhaps I could get 5 years from a set before they wore out - But it is likely that I would sell the car within that time.

So for me , this FE mod is bad $ economy.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:03 AM   #5
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
I am up for 2 sets of new tyres (we swap to studded in winter time) so in the next few weeks ime off to the tyre store to try and strike a good deal.
Don't forget the 4 bags of pulverized limestone in the trunk (as I did when I had a '72 Celica). In the Spring, just put that stuff on your lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
It was close , but it worked out that it would take 5 years for me to justify the cost of the FE tyres.
Because the tyres are only on for 8 months of the year perhaps I could get 5 years from a set before they wore out - But it is likely that I would sell the car within that time.
If you're puttin' them on a '72, haven you had it for more than 5 years already? 5 more is a walk in the park for you...
Old 09-26-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Silveredwings

Exactly rite , if you've got a car for the long term then almost any FE mod will pay off , eventually.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:29 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
onegammyleg - if you put your location in your profile we would better understand where you are . . . I didn't think Florida had long dark winters! lol
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hi JanGeo

Good idea.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

hey onegammyleg,

are you a hockey fan by any chance? i noticed the finnish league has started already.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi schmeep

Hockey , or Ice Hockey ?
Ice Hockey is huge here , but ime not really a fan.