Can throttle detune improve MPG? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Can throttle detune improve MPG?

As a former Prius C owner who now drives a Malibu Hybrid, I have experienced the pros and cons of both hybrids. While the Prius was reliable and fuel-efficient, it was underpowered and dangerous on the highway. The Malibu, on the other hand, is a comfortable, powerful, and reliable vehicle with a few trade-offs in fuel efficiency.

One of the noticeable differences between the two hybrids is the accelerator stroke. The Malibu, in particular, has a short accelerator stroke before the ICE unit starts. I believe that reducing the throttle response in town could improve my average MPG.

Are there any gadgets or techniques that can be used to detune the throttle response on a Malibu Hybrid? I am particularly interested in those that are designed to improve fuel efficiency, rather than acceleration.

LillianFelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:22 AM   #2
Registered Member

Here are some gadgets and techniques that you can use to detune the throttle response on a Malibu Hybrid to improve your average MPG:

Eco mode: Most modern hybrids have an Eco mode that reduces the throttle response and other performance settings to improve fuel efficiency. To activate Eco mode, press the Eco button on your dashboard.
Throttle limiter: A throttle limiter is a device that restricts the amount of throttle that can be applied. This can be useful for reducing the throttle response and improving fuel efficiency. There are a number of different throttle limiters available on the market, so be sure to do your research to find one that is compatible with your Malibu Hybrid.
Pedal Commander: The Pedal Commander is a device that plugs into your Malibu Hybrid's OBD-II port and allows you to adjust the throttle response and other performance settings. The Pedal Commander has a number of different settings, including a setting that can be used to reduce the throttle response.
Driving techniques: There are a number of driving techniques that can help to improve fuel efficiency, such as:
Smooth acceleration and braking: Avoid sudden acceleration and braking, as this can waste fuel.
Coasting: When you are approaching a red light or stop sign, coast to a stop instead of braking hard.
Use cruise control: Cruise control can help you to maintain a consistent speed, which can improve fuel efficiency.
Anticipate traffic: Pay attention to traffic conditions ahead of you and anticipate stops and slowdowns. This will help you to avoid sudden acceleration and braking.
It is important to note that detuning the throttle response can also affect the performance of your Malibu Hybrid. For example, it may take longer to accelerate and the car may be less responsive in emergency situations. Be sure to test your Malibu Hybrid with the throttle response detuned to make sure that you are comfortable with the performance before driving it on public roads.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
ThanogHamros is offline   Reply With Quote