Firefighter training for EV batteries? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > Hybrid Vehicles
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2023, 11:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Firefighter training for EV batteries?

As I delve into crafting a comprehensive paper for my fire prevention class, I'm focusing on EV/Hybrid batteries. I've encountered compelling information suggesting their high risk and challenging extinguishing properties. I'm curious about the extent of training provided to firefighters at the local, state, or federal levels in dealing with these unique challenges. I sincerely appreciate your valuable insights on this topic. Thank you for your contributions.

SetuaSutli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 11:48 PM   #2
Registered Member

According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), the extent of training provided to firefighters at the local, state, or federal levels in dealing with EV/Hybrid batteries varies widely. Some fire departments have received extensive training on this topic, while others have received very little or no training at all.

The NFPA has developed a number of resources to help fire departments train their firefighters on how to respond to EV/Hybrid battery fires. These resources include:

NFPA 1073: Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Service Responders to Electric Vehicles and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
NFPA 1072: Standard for the Protection of Life and Property from Fire Hazards in Electric Vehicles and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
NFPA 1071: Standard for the Protection of Life and Property from Fire Hazards in Battery Energy Storage Systems
NFPA 1500: Standard on Fire Department Occupational Safety and Health Program
These resources provide guidance on a variety of topics related to EV/Hybrid battery fires, including:

Fire hazards associated with EV/Hybrid batteries
How to identify and assess EV/Hybrid battery fires
How to extinguish EV/Hybrid battery fires
How to protect firefighters from the hazards associated with EV/Hybrid battery fires
The NFPA also offers a number of training programs on EV/Hybrid battery fires. These programs are designed to help firefighters develop the skills and knowledge they need to safely and effectively respond to these fires.

In addition to the training provided by the NFPA, some states and local governments have also developed their own training programs on EV/Hybrid battery fires. For example, the California State Fire Marshal's Office offers a training program called "Electric Vehicle Fire Safety for Firefighters." This program is designed to help firefighters learn about the hazards associated with EV/Hybrid batteries and how to safely and effectively respond to these fires.

Overall, the extent of training provided to firefighters at the local, state, or federal levels in dealing with EV/Hybrid batteries varies widely. However, there are a number of resources available to help fire departments train their firefighters on this topic.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
LillianFelly is offline   Reply With Quote