Did some weight reduction just now - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #41
Registered Member

Just thought of something

Just thought of something else. I have plastic glovebox type things behind the seats. They serve no purpose for me than to rattle when I hit a bump. Ill bet there is 20-30 lbs of crap back there. Might rip that out and see what it looks like. I could cover the area with lightweight black carpeting and would have more room back there to throw my coat or other stuff.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:14 AM   #42
*shrug*

I think I'm up to 120 pounds

I think I'm up to 120 pounds from when I weighed everything, not so sure yet. When I get the rims on I will finish weighing stuff and take out my sound deadening and I hope to be at 200 pounds.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:04 AM   #43
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
wow, after looking at that

wow, after looking at that SCC page of the car they striped down, befor the cut the truck and roof off still had a curb weight of :1,904 lbs ... my stock 1985 crx HF is something like 1900 pounds... now I see why people like to race them.
personaly I woudl be carful shaving to much weight, things like the shealding on the exaust pipe keep the exaust warm, alowing it to flow better/less drag, ECU cover might sheild the ECU from electrical interfirence, and possible electrical or physical damage.
unsprung weight is big, but reducing it normaly costs money, VX rims weight 9 pounds each, and my 165/70-13 firestone f570 tires weigh around 15 pounds, around 10 pounds less per wheel then stock 175/70-13 on steel rims.
removing A/c cut down weight by 28 pounds, and I still have the under dash parts to remove.
for most of the honda's you can get carbon fiber hoods, and fenders, altho you have to be carful as some are not really carbon fiber, but fiberglass with a single layer for carbon for looks, someone should compair brands and weights of carbon hoods.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:10 AM   #44
*shrug*

Quote:my stock 1985 crx HF

Quote:
my stock 1985 crx HF is something like 1900 pounds
1713, to be exact.

Quote:
ECU cover might sheild the ECU from electrical interfirence
You should see how I have it now. Not case at all, just the board, under a pile of **** in the car.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:43 PM   #45
Registered Member

anybody tried a lightweight

anybody tried a lightweight flywheel for manuals??

also you can take your car to the city dump and put it on the weights where the whole car fits on there. Sometimes they will let you do it for free.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #46
*shrug*

Quote:anybody tried a

Quote:
anybody tried a lightweight flywheel for manuals??
I'm getting one that is stock and slightly lighter (5 pounds), but hasn't been lightened, for free.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #47
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I've never found out for

I've never found out for sure, but some people say that the crx HF's have a heavier fly wheel, some people say they are a light weight fly wheel, if it's ballence right, a heaver fly wheel will absorb more energy, your engine doesn't rotate at a consistont speed, each compresion stroke it slows down, and each firing stroke it speeds up, not alot, but enough, and if you can smooth out that jerky rotation, you can get more useable energy out of the engine, all the light wheight flywheels are designed for racing, where you want be able to change engine speed quickly as you shift and accelorate, yes you want to reduce unsprung weight, and rotational weight whenever possible, but this is the one exception to that rule.
I'm unsure about light wheight crank shaft pullies, and underdrive alternator pullies, they are small enough in diametor that they would have less dampening affect so they seem like a place to reduce weight, the insight uses a composit crank shaft pully I belive, and if you could find one, an alloy alternator pully might be worth it as well.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #48
*shrug*

It has been documented that

It has been documented that the Civic CX and VX have lighter flywheels than other models, so I would say the HF might be lighter, the same, or higher, but somewhere they figured out to make it lighter. All honda engines are internally balances so I don't really see the flywheel doing much with that.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:58 AM   #49

Re: It has been documented that

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
It has been documented that the Civic CX and VX have lighter flywheels than other models, so I would say the HF might be lighter, the same, or higher, but somewhere they figured out to make it lighter. All honda engines are internally balances so I don't really see the flywheel doing much with that.
Has it? I swear I weighed mine and it weighed the same as my other D-series flywheels.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #50
*shrug*

I swear it, I saw two

I swear it, I saw two seperate threads on honda-tech about it, and I'll try it myself when I get my new cx flywheel,