Laws about coasting - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Well, before I knew it was bad for it I did a couple of EOC's on some large hills on the highway, and all that shifting, and forced DFCO on a 10 year old tranny with 155,000 miles - even though it was running great and maintenance was performed on schedule...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 PM   #22
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I suspect the EOCs are at fault. That would match my own research and real world observations. I always try to warn against EOCing an automatic when discussing EOC with someone who has one.

I have also been pretty gentle about inducing DFCO with my automatic.

How many miles do you think you put on between the time you started experimenting and the time it began showing symptoms?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:23 PM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

I only did 2 or 3 EOC's before someone told me to stop that. I think it was the 3 months worth of downshift into DFCO that was probably a bit too hard on it. They said that there was a lot of torque converter clutch material in the bottom of the pan, and the tranny was just flushed this spring (less than 10,000 miles).

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #24
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smay665949 View Post
Not to rock the boat but if coasting is illegal and people are doing it they are no different than speeders.
In the eyes of the law and insurance companies.

With respect to the risk/hazard to others, I don't think so.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #25

Az law:
( http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Arizona...s.asp?Title=28 )

A. The driver of a motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade shall not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral.

B. The driver of a commercial motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged.

Well, I guess I'll join those evil speeders (56 in a 55 zone! OMG, save the CHILDREN!) as a lawless menace to society!

Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Registered Member

Quote:
Well, I guess I'll join those evil speeders (56 in a 55 zone! OMG, save the CHILDREN!) as a lawless menace to society!
Muahaha! I'll drive with the trans in neutral on any grade that doesn't cause me to gain excess speed. Obviously, driving down a long mountain is completely different than the few hundred feet down the side of a hill I commonly encounter here @ 45mph, gaining 5mph by the time I hit the bottom.
Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
OMG, you evil maniacs!

Long steep descents (down the mountain) are a whole different story...you have no FE to gain by coasting vs. DFCO, because you would have to brake anyway. In fact, DFCO saves more gas in that situation than engine-on neutral coasting. EOC could conceivably save tiny amounts when you fall out of DFCO on a switchback or something, but there's a real safety concern there.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:46 AM   #28
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
I found nothing in the Ohio revised code unless you're a driver in a school bus - and that law mandates that you do not cross a rail road track in neutral or coasting, and that you must stay in gear.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #29
Registered Member

post #16 FL
Quote:
shall not coast with the gears or transmission of such vehicle in neutral or the clutch disengaged.
Note that it says "or".. Transmission in neutral AND clutch disengaged is not prohibited.

post #25 AZ
Quote:
A. The driver of a motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade shall not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral.
B. The driver of a commercial motor vehicle traveling on a downgrade shall not coast with the clutch disengaged.
Driver A can disengage the clutch and remain legal. Driver B can't due to a commercial motor vehicle being subject to both A and B.

EOC in an automatic transmission is damaging. The fluid pump is driven by the engine. Stopping the engine stops the fluid flow and allows localized heat degradation because the output half of the transmission is still turning. Leave the engine running and shift to neutral.
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
EOC in an automatic transmission is damaging. The fluid pump is driven by the engine. Stopping the engine stops the fluid flow and allows localized heat degradation because the output half of the transmission is still turning. Leave the engine running and shift to neutral.
For most FWD vehicles this is true. You should only EOC coast under the conditions that the car is allowed to be towed in.

I can EOC coast for 200 miles as long as it's under 65mph. Now all I have to do is find a 200 mile down hill.