Pedal Commander installed on my Camaro - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Pedal Commander installed on my Camaro

So my foreman recently asked me if I had a throttle controller. While I had heard of them before I either half paid attention or just thought it was a gimmick part. He has a Cadillac with the same engine as me (3.6L V6) and said that installing a throttle controller made a huge difference in performance. He "guaranteed" I'd like it. Coincidentally it was Amazon prime day and the Pedal Commander was 20% off. If i signed up for an Amazon card I'd get another $150 off. While $300 seemed too pricey for me $90 was cheap enough to get me to try it out. Overall I like the added throttle response while driving around town. I do drive my Camaro a lot lately. My new job is 90 miles from home. I noticed the Pedal Commander has an ECO mode. Throttle response is pretty pathetic. Has anybody tested their gas mileage with a throttle controller in ECO mode vs stock? Thanks.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

Never had a car with an Eco mode, but what I've read of it for the Prius is that changes the accelerator pedal mapping. You'll have to push harder to get the same level of acceleration as in normal mode. Pedal to the floor is the same level no matter the mode.

Maybe Eco mode will get a driver to be more conservative on their route. Maybe the finer control of the pedal at the slow end of the acceleration curve will help someone get better efficiency. But if the driver doesn't want to do so, they can use fuel at the same rate as if in normal or sport mode.

With some cars, putting the car in Eco mode could also put the HVAC system into a high efficiency mode. That might be more likely true with plug ins.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:22 AM   #3
LDB
Registered Member

I've used ECO mode a few times on a Prius I used to have. The throttle went from 0-100% in both normal and ECO modes. It just changed the curve to get there. In normal it was a curve up and then tapering off as is swept to the right to climb the last to 100. In ECO is was a slow and gradual sweep to the right before a final faster climb to 100. I drive in ECO mode on my own so I never switch it on. For some it may make a bit of difference. Those with lead feet are going to over press regardless of mode probably. YMMV

Old 05-22-2023, 06:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Just posted this in another thread.

It is possible to drive aggressively in Eco mode, and burn more fuel. Likewise, it is possible to not drive as such in Sport mode, and save fuel. Flooring the accelerator in either mode uses the same amount of fuel.

The main difference between the two modes is in how quickly pressing the accelerator opens up the throttle before reaching the floor. Sport opens it up faster, which encourages aggressive driving that uses more fuel.
Old 07-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #5
LDB
Registered Member

As explained already, they all go from foot off the pedal to pedal at the floor. It's just a matter of straight line or curve and what type curve. I don't know how to make fancy graphs but here's the general idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	throttle maps.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2890  

Old 09-18-2023, 05:46 AM   #6
Registered Member

It comes down to which mode is the most comfortable for the individual in controlling the accelerator for their drive.

There may also be other differences between the modes to consider. They might also result in changes to steering response and feel. Eco mode might put the climate control into its Eco setting. There is a lot of info in the owner's manual.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yes, I have tested my gas mileage with a throttle controller in ECO mode vs stock. I noticed a slight improvement in gas mileage in ECO mode, but it was not significant. I would estimate that I got about 1-2 mpg more in ECO mode than in stock mode.

However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of a throttle controller in improving gas mileage will vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle, your driving habits, and other factors.

Here are some tips for improving gas mileage:

Avoid aggressive driving, such as jackrabbit starts and sudden stops.
Drive at a moderate speed.
Use cruise control on the highway.
Keep your tires properly inflated.
Get regular oil changes and tune-ups.
Avoid carrying unnecessary weight in your vehicle.
If you are looking for a way to improve your gas mileage, I recommend following these tips before installing a throttle controller.

Closed Thread