Am i welcome here?? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
Site Team / Moderator

Exactly. One of my vendors has an H2 Hummer, and someone asked why he didn't put low profile tires on it. He replied that he was 50 years old and his bones can't take riding in a Hummer with low profile tires on it. Also another point with the wings is that they are usually grossly oversized. You don't need a 3 foot tall wing on a Honda Civic. Around here there's a metallic green Toyota minivan with a 3 foot tall wing bolted to the roof. With any luck he'll break that thing off in a parking garage, and the van would look much nicer...

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #22
Registered Member

I also understand that there is a place for a rear wing on a front wheel drive cars. rally racers do it for downforce during hard cornering to keep the back wheels planted especially in low traction areas like dirt (not to be confused with gravel) roads. rally races are fun to watch

I also understand that you average joe doesn't need a wing at all and to put one on a van. someone probably told him it was cool just to see if he would do it. AND HE DID!!!!

someone laughs daily at that poor guy.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #23
Site Team / Moderator

Next time I see that minivan I'll try to whip out the cell phone and take a pic before its gone. It truly is a sight. We have a lot of odd cars here because of the large "Non-Native" population in the area. (I won't single out any race or nationality in the public forum, but those in the DC area know what I'm talking about.)

Old 09-08-2008, 09:41 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
OP: You're welcome here as long as we get to turn your thread into a ricer-bashing thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
notice also that those mufflers (universal fit) never fit right. they are always crooked and usually hang really close to the ground.
I thought that was done on purpose.

Quote:
I think the tires died because people didn't realize A: how expensive they really are and B: how rough the ride gets with them.
Oh, they're still putting on ridiculously low-profile tires...they're just putting them on appropriately-upsized rims resulting in the same outside diameter. They used to put wide, low-profile, small-diameter, tires on small wheels that stick out way too far, making it look like a go-kart. Now lots of them go for the "bling bling yo", putting on "dubz". I guess both of those might be restricted to ghetto (or ghetto-wannabe) ricers, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Exactly. One of my vendors has an H2 Hummer, and someone asked why he didn't put low profile tires on it. He replied that he was 50 years old and his bones can't take riding in a Hummer with low profile tires on it.
He didn't say "Why would I put low profile tires on it?" I mean, seriously, that's entirely the opposite reason to get a hummer. A hummer with low-profile tires is like asking your voluptuous wife to get breast-reduction surgery. If you wanted a sportscar, you should have gotten a sportscar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
average joe doesn't need a wing at all and to put one on a van. someone probably told him it was cool just to see if he would do it. AND HE DID!!!!

someone laughs daily at that poor guy.
It's possible that he did it sarcastically...I've often thought of doing that but I expect that most people won't get the joke.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
(I won't single out any race or nationality in the public forum, but those in the DC area know what I'm talking about.)
Politicians?

Dalez0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
Registered Member

I remember the little wheels now. most of the guys that did that around my area used wire rims and rather thick tires but that is because they had hydraulics. you wanna talk about a rough ride. hydraulics will beat you to death.

I think the wheels sticking out is actually against some laws. I have heard that if you have oversized tires, you have to put on fender flares that at least cover the tread so you don't sling mud up everywhere. I dont know all the details of that one but that is what I have heard. it never applied to me so I don't know.

as far as the "doing it for a joke" I have two LARGE flowmaster bumper stickers on the back of my car. that too is a joke that few get. I am thinking of taking them off.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:33 AM   #27
Registered Member

Haha i get the joke... thats pretty funny cause you have a small cavilier
Old 09-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #28
Registered Member

yea but ricers want to race me because they think I care.

by the way I saw in another thread that you are in school for engineering. what kind. double E is a good one. you can never have too many electrical engineers. I am an E tech. engineering tech. same principle ony two years instead of 4 (oh and that whole less pay thing too)

Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 PM   #29
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
He didn't say "Why would I put low profile tires on it?" I mean, seriously, that's entirely the opposite reason to get a hummer. A hummer with low-profile tires is like asking your voluptuous wife to get breast-reduction surgery. If you wanted a sportscar, you should have gotten a sportscar.
Here in the DC area it is not uncommon to see a Hummer or an Escalade blinged out with low profile tires and spinners. They ride like total crap when setup like that though. My primary concern when setting up a vehicle is that it rides nice. If it doesn't ride nice I won't feel comfortable driving it.

My vendor does have other stuff on his hummer though. He has in dash navigation, and a LCD monitor that slides out of the dash. When he shifts into reverse the monitor switches to a rearview camera.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #30
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
My primary concern when setting up a vehicle is that it rides nice. If it doesn't ride nice I won't feel comfortable driving it.
For me, it's a balance between comfortable (read: soft) ride, functionality, and price. Aesthetics is pretty low on the list, but not entirely absent -- I want it to look nice when I'm looking at it, and blend in when I'm driving it. Low-profile tires on a huge SUV are counterproductive...not rated for heavy loads, can't go off-road, and it's not like the thing is going to fly around turns just because you put silly tires on it. Putting such tires on effectively manages to make the vehicle even more pointless, wasteful, and ruined.

Quote:
My vendor does have other stuff on his hummer though. He has in dash navigation, and a LCD monitor that slides out of the dash. When he shifts into reverse the monitor switches to a rearview camera.
That may be "bling" to some people, but at least it does stuff...