Has anyone thought of using 4 'donut' tires? - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #31
Registered Member

And, back to Fuel Efficiency, wasn't that the reason for the original post?
Four temporary "donut" tires may be skinny, but they aren't low rolling resistance. Like the Swedish poster, I tried four temp tires, new, unused from a junkyard and found that rolling tests and coast down tests had the T135-15 at 60 psi (the oem spare size for my car) donuts stopping or slowing sooner than a set of Michelin 195-60-14 (oem size, but not the oem brand) inflated to 32 psi.

Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickflipjr
I think 2 donuts in the rear might help a bit and be safer.

plus it would be easier to make rear wheel skirts
The earlier Citroen ID/DS cars had smaller tires in the rear, along with the side skirts. 155R400 on the first and later were 165R380 (15).

These cars are also streamlined underneath, with holes for the motor and exhaust. Fun cars, but with the age of them now, ownership and daily use could become costly.

-Emil Faber
Spule 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:01 AM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to molecule
i think that is the prototype bed for ricky in the old tv show 'silver spoons'
(op's avatar)

:gigglesnort:
Old 10-20-2006, 03:36 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spule 4
The earlier Citroen ID/DS cars had smaller tires in the rear, along with the side skirts. 155R400 on the first and later were 165R380 (15).
Those French without doubt come up with some of the most ugliest cars in the world ,, but inside them they pack quite modern , if not too modern ideas.
The Citroen 2CV was an amzing little thing ..reputedly it could be driven over a plowed field without several hay bails ballanced on top of it falling off.
Very fine chasis dynamics.

My brother had a Renault 16 for a while ...

... and for a small car the ride was just as smooth as a large car.
One would say ?plush?

I wouldnt say that I like french cars as such , but I do observe them with interest.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:59 AM   #35
Registered Member

The Renault R16 was Renaults big car at the time. They are nice, and very advanced, the seating arrangement is the only car I have seen with more options than the Fit/Jazz from Honda.

A lot of people do not realize also that the French (Citroen) beat Mercedes with a production diesel car by three years.

-Emil Faber
Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlarry
AMEN! I agree. Honda killed the Insight this year and I don't ever remember seeing an ad on TV, or anywhere for that matter, for the Insight.
Honda is world famous for doing something better than anybody else in the world to get a record or prove a point. Then let it slip quitely away. They have done this for year with there motorcycles.

They set out to prove a point with Insight. They did no futher development, and did not market the car. It was there plan to do it like that Im sure.

BAD HONDA, BAD HONDA!!!!

Heck they basicly blew it with the R18 in my car. They could have made it a lean burn and also put a Si type Vtec in it. But iin one swope they would have ruined there Hybrid and Si. LMAO
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack
Honda is world famous for doing something better than anybody else in the world to get a record or prove a point. Then let it slip quitely away. They have done this for year with there motorcycles.

They set out to prove a point with Insight. They did no futher development, and did not market the car. It was there plan to do it like that Im sure.

BAD HONDA, BAD HONDA!!!!

Heck they basicly blew it with the R18 in my car. They could have made it a lean burn and also put a Si type Vtec in it. But iin one swope they would have ruined there Hybrid and Si. LMAO
They Hybrid is Dead, Long Live the Hybrid.

Honda is smart to be getting out while they can with the Insight and the Accord. With the changes in diesel rules and technology, the good Doktor's Oil Motor will be the new hot item in the next couple years. Even Honda are working on this technology as we speak.

-Emil Faber
Old 11-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #38
Registered Member

Out making money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher
Just now, I am beginning to see GM TV commercials that make a point of "9 out of 10 of our vehicles get over 30 mpg". That's great, but WHERE HAVE THEY BEEN THE LAST 20 YEARS?!?
SUVs are all about profits! Why make cars when the same number of SUVs make more money? Move over, car! Make room for more money!
Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #39
Team GasMisers5!

I think the following video is probably a definitive comment on the use of 4 donut tyres on a car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_1A4...elated&search=

It is FF drifting, and general craziness. Notice, just after one of the guys hanging out of the car punches the police car (37 seconds), they start doing
some FF drifting (47 seconds), You can see how thin the tyres are - they deliberately use those tyres so that they can slide around more easily. They can also drive completely sideways (e.g. at 55 seconds), without flipping the car over, despite doing very high speeds. It is also easy to lose control, and in fact they almost died at about 1 minute, by hitting a post!

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #40
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to The Toecutter
Honda complains it never sold enough Insights, but the real truth is, it never made enough to meet demand.

The Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote