How to improve this auto. trans. acceleration test - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

How to improve this auto. trans. acceleration test

Today I tried running an acceleration test in the minivan with automatic transmission.

The method:
Engine is warmed up from previous driving.

Reset manufacturer's avg economy display and punch in a throttle setting from a dead stop at a stop sign turning right and holding constant throttle to 40mph noting TPS setting from scanguage --

Then coast engine on to the same landmark each time.

Note mpg from manufacturer's display while rolling past landmark.

Easy to feel different levels of acceleration by butt gauge. Unfortunately I decided that since trying to maintain a constant 40mph on a constant slope and coasting should BOTH use constant GPH I would just coast because it's easier. But I after running it realized the results would be skewed by the different times coasting at at different average speeds.

Other sources of error:
1) The manufacturer's display updates every 2 seconds (same as Scanguage on "normal" setting, right?) and each run is fairly short.

2) I didn't record coasting time or final coasting speed so I can't mathematically correct this part.

3) I started with engine hot so I could do all the runs in a row without this variable. BUT I'd really like to know if it makes a difference starting cold, especially from this particular stop.

I didn't worry about rpms etc. since it isn't a stick. I just want to get a good idea of how the acceleration should feel while keeping my eyes on the road.

Anyway here's the results such as they are:
Code:
TPS  MPG
24   17.9  this feels pokey
28   18.4  this feels about normal "moderate"
32   20.0  \__ these feel like accel. "smartly" but not peeling out
33   20.0  /
39   19.2  FAST, just under spinning at the stop, but not 
               continuing to push the pedal down to WOT
               after pulling away.
I'm going to try keeping a log of individual cold starts to 40mph and then maintaining 40mph to my landmark over the next several days on normal trips. I'll note temperature as well.
savoF3 is offline   Reply With Quote