Result from using Restore additive... - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Experiments, Modifications and DIY
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered Member

Result from using Restore additive...

I usually use some type of additive in my oil plus having used synthetic oils at various times. Other than use of a series of teflon...militec...and moly additives every 3K in a car (8 to 10% gain)...I've never really documented an mpg gain...EXCEPT for now.

Someone else with the same vehicle had posted that he saw a gain by using Restore...so I decided to give it a go. Difference is that his wagon burns more oil than mine...a qt each 1500 miles vs 5 to 7K miles for my car....so I didn't really expect it to work.

So on my last tank I got almost 37 mpg...vs a previous summer best of around 35 mpg. Also had a bit of a choke problem...and it was definitely filled to the point of some on the ground...so I'm expecting 38 mpg eventually. But definitely a 6% or so gain from best mpg so far. EPA combined mpg for this 4x4 wagon is 26 mpg.

If anyone tries this...you should expect to see solid mpg results on the second tank...usually in the 10% range. I don't trust seat of the pants so much...but I do believe the engine runs smoother and I can accelerate using less throttle than before.

I expect to keep using it...but will probably use only 1/2 can each time after the first oil change...7K between changes. Or...if you change oil every 3K...maybe a can every other oil change?

Here are some links and text posted for your benefit...so you don't have to Google...I've also bolded some important points:

Restore Engine Restorer

?ENGINE RESTORER? IS NOT AN OIL ADDITIVE According to the company... each can of Engine Restorer contains billions of CSL micro-particles in suspension in a neutral motor oil of high quality. Each CSL micro-particle contains Lead (40%) dispersed uniformly throughout a Copper (60%) matrix with Silver.

Engine Restorer is added to the motor oil but it is not an oil additive. An oil additive, by definition, is a product which is added to automotive oil in the crankcase with the intended purpose of modifying the oil characteristics such as viscosity, detergency, or foaming. Engine Restorer is not an oil additive in this sense. It is rather an engine additive because it acts on the engine itself playing a double role. The CSL particles fill scratches, grooves and other worn out areas between the piston and the cylinder wall in the engine. The CSL particles provide maximum natural lubrication due to their percentage of lead, even under very high temperature.

The action of RESTORE reduces friction and rebuilds metal surfaces, which restores lost power and reduces oil & fuel consumption. It works effectively wherever friction and wear cut scratches in metal surfaces, such as cylinder walls, crankshafts and bearings. Ya, Right! And I have a bridge for sale too!

Engine restore Does it work?

I beg to differ with this statement. My senior year in highschool, I did an "experiment" for a 4-H project to see whether or not some of these so-called snake oil additives did any good. I took a well used 3.5hp briggs motor, pulled it apart and photographed both the cylinder walls and piston skirts. I also measured compression, and did a "seat of my pants" power feeling on my old go-cart. I poured in a measured amount of Engine Restore, keeping engine restore/engine oil ratios the same. I ran the engine for 40 (I figured 2000 miles for a conservative oil change, 2000 miles/60 mph average= 40 hours.) hours at varying RPMs, shut it down and did compression tests again. It had jumped amazingly, and I changed oil, added the same amount of engine restore, and repeated the 40 hour engine run. I measure compression, more increase was noted, and I put the engine back on the old go-cart. Even for a small 3.5hp briggs, I noticed an increase in power. To not be biased, I used a friend who did not know about the test, and he noted the increase in performance as well. Again I disassembled the engine, photographed the cylinder walls and piston skirts again, and they were also notable smoother. Though I understand that a small Briggs engine is much different that a small block in size and strength, the components are similar as is the general function. I received a blue ribbon at the state fair, and have become a believer of the stuff.

Hi Joe, just to correct your post. RESTORE works great with turbo engines. we have smoked the wheels of our super-chipped Volvo 740 turbo at the Eastcoast Extreme Bentwater drag racing for several years with RESTORE in the engine and it just gets faster and faster. It is my daily drive year round too. thanks.

I have used it several times and have only had good results. I used to work as a shuttle driver and we used Ford E350 vans, when the mileage started getting around 200k I would start to put Restorer in them. Every engine I put it in "seemed" to have more power. My partner and I would both notice a 1-2 mpg increase in gas mileage when it was used. This was noted over and over, not a one time thing.

I've used it in many engines from my 1939 Ford/Ferguson 9N tractor to my newest vehicle. The 9N tractor reqiured non detergent oil which is impossible to find so I started using detergent oil & it started smoking soon after. So I tried Restore and it stopped smoking. I've used it in my engines for at least 15yrs. I have found that if you add it to the oil and immediatly run the engine up to Operating Temp. Then let the Eng. cool & not use it for a week or 2 it works amazingly better. Why? The only reason I can think of is it adhears & penetrates the cylinder walls scratches more deeply. The 1st time I tried this with the 9N I let it sit for about 4 weeks after adding the blue goo. Damn thing hasn't smoked or used oil since. I haven't notice any gumming or sludge in my engines. They seem cleaner from less blowby. I say if it's a high mileage tired ride try it. If it doesn't work try a Rering kit.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Restore RES60019 Engine Restorer 8 Cylinder. 19 oz.

Question: Why are otherwise intelligent people interested in getting inside their car's engine and somehow affecting it?

Answer: I have no idea.

Without a doubt, this is a super hi-performance oil additive! The only difference between this 8 cylinder product and the 6 and 4 cylinder products is the amount of fluid product you get. This 8 cylinder product is 19 oz., the 6 cyl. product is 15 oz. and the 4 cyl. product is 11 oz.. From what they tell me [on their website-[RESTOREUSA.COM] and from my experience, the fluid volume is the only difference between the products by cylinders.

WHAT THE PRODUCT CLAIMS:

Regardless of the size of the can, this product claims to be the only product that contains "RESTORE'S" proprietary CSL formula. They claim that "CSL" possesses unique properties that will "fill in" and "seal micro-leaks" in the "cylinder wall" of your engine and mine. They claim the effect of sealing these "micro-leaks" is the elimination of "blow-by", higher engine compression and more apparent horsepower that we can feel.

WHAT I HAVE NOTICED AFTER 3 YEARS OF INTENSIVE USE:

After years of using oil additives which increase viscosity and the risk of blowing oil seals in the engine [I've done that.], I tried this product. It does not increase viscosity, but it does increase the gas mileage [10-12%] and the performance of my 1998 V6 Plymouth Voyager which now has almost 140,000 miles on it. Also, it quieted the noisy lifters and made the engine much easier to turn over on very cold mornings.

During the summers, I do use a viscosity-increasing additive ["NO SMOKE"] which I find to be better at reducing the engine's tendency to burn a little oil [quart every 2,000 miles], especially at high speeds for sustained periods. Having used this product for several years I do feel more comfortable using "Restore" in colder weather as I have noticed a greater tendency to use oil during the summer with it and the faint smell of exhaust fumes if our back van windows are open when we first start the engine. On the plus side, I have also noticed that the benefit of using this treatment lasts at least several months after running the car without it, and I gauge this by the decline in gas mileage that typically does not occur for at least 4,000 miles of driving without it.

Having said that, "Restore" increases gas mileage and is better in cold weather in every way. Now that Old Man Winter is nearly here again, I'll be repurchasing the little silver can very soon. Brrr!

[I have NO affiliation with any product or company]

a new policy....I intend to ignore the nescient...a waste of time and energy.
ZugyNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Site Team / Moderator

Back when I was young and stupid (17) I thought it would be a good idea to put a can of this in my 1980 Bonneville wagon, just because it had over 150,000 miles on it at the time. About a week later it started slightly burning oil on warmup, but this stopped after the engine got to operating temperature. Plus it left this really thick, crusty residue on the dipstick. I remember I had to "shave" the dipstick with a razorblade to scrape it all off so I could see the marks on the dipstick again. I kept very detailed mileage records on the car at the time (because the fuel gauge was unreliable, so I had to do some math to estimate my remaining fuel). I noted no mileage or power improvement after using the product.

I don't deal with these types of additives anymore. I now believe in maintaining an engine well with synthetic fluids, and my vehicles are running better than ever.

Oh, and I can say that Slick 50 does work... I used to have oil pressure problems in the Buick years ago. Being a poor college student at the time I didn't have the funds to fix or replace the car. I poured a bottle of Slick 50 in, and drove the car with the oil pressure light on for 2 years...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote