E-10 + 41 year old car = ???? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2008, 11:18 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Most folks are averaging 15-16 in good tune, and are able to get 17-20 on the open road even sans overdrive. My '68 was capable of this, I had several tanks over 20mpg between college and home, about a three hour drive. The only good thing about 2.73 gears I guess. But the '67? My best tank was on Monday, 200mi of mostly highway driving, got 15.47mpg. I average around 13. Like you, I had suspected it was running a bit rich, but a pull on the dyno revealed I was right on the money (as far as power was concerned). Also, I don't have that many miles on the engine, so it's still loosening up to some degree.

I've just put in a fan clutch, but I'm now a bit dubious as to the gains. I had to switch from the original 5-blade Ford fan to an aftermarket 6-blade fan with a way deeper pitch to fit over the clutch. We'll see what I get before I move on. Next move is a stronger throttle return spring - the one now is super weak, and I've never really gotten used to it so that every few green lights I'm sure I'm hitting the accelerator pump. It hangs up unless I blip the throttle a little before letting off, too.

well theres a slight problem, if its tuned for power, do you think its going to be leaned out? nah gonna be slightly rich, get more gas in each cyl potentionally more power from it.

i can tune my chevette to way different and it seems to take off but mpg suffers.

lol yea my chevettes throttle is weird, it will idle at its regulary 850 rpm but if i blip it it will go down to 200...(but run as smoth as can be) i dont know whats causing that since ive rebuilt the carb and have installed new fuel filter and have run several bottles of carb cleaner thru it...

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
well theres a slight problem, if its tuned for power, do you think its going to be leaned out? nah gonna be slightly rich, get more gas in each cyl potentionally more power from it.

i can tune my chevette to way different and it seems to take off but mpg suffers.

lol yea my chevettes throttle is weird, it will idle at its regulary 850 rpm but if i blip it it will go down to 200...(but run as smoth as can be) i dont know whats causing that since ive rebuilt the carb and have installed new fuel filter and have run several bottles of carb cleaner thru it...
Yeah...hence why I stuck the "(as far as power is concerned)" bit in there . Here's my dyno sheet with the a/f on the bottom. Make of it what you will, I'm not entirely sure how much a WOT a/f reading does or doesn't apply to day-to-day, normal street driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Queen Dyno Small.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1058  

'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote