Missing Data Issues (Re-Run 2.7 to 3.0 Upgrade) - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-19-2016, 11:18 AM   #41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrower View Post
Hello Robert,

No need.

I was able to reset and restart from a backup. For reasons I do not completely understand I was able to get ver 3.0.8 up and my data is still present.

Let's put it down to my fault and let me offer my apologies for an intemperate post.
Well, I'm glad you were able to get your data restored.
I don't see you syncing to Fuelly.com though, is that by choice? Are you wanting to remain 'offline' per-se?
My only caveat lector would be in the event of device loss/failure, without syncing to Fuelly.com, your data is only saved locally on your device. Therefore, getting a new device, or factory resetting your current may leave you with ultimate data loss!

RobertV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:18 PM   #42
Registered Member

Yes that is by choice.

My best guess at this point is my first attempt to upgrade to 3.0.8 was foiled by a network communication issue that either blocked or disrupted my connection to the internet. Correcting the communication issue, restoring from back up and reloading 3.0.8 seems to have worked.

lebrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:51 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebrower View Post
Yes that is by choice.

My best guess at this point is my first attempt to upgrade to 3.0.8 was foiled by a network communication issue that either blocked or disrupted my connection to the internet. Correcting the communication issue, restoring from back up and reloading 3.0.8 seems to have worked.
Actually, I don't think it was a network issue. The primary issue for botched migrations was data in the old database not in the expected format for the new database. This migration happened only on your phone was done without sending any data over the internet. So it was likely that the issue was resolved with the re-run migration process which addressed the data issue.

The only thing that was used by a connection was to send a backup of a user's data to our server for emergency purposes. We decided to that in case people deleted their apps, we could then provide them that backup. As time passes we will purge those backups. They will not be part of the Fuelly community data.

Some people did have connection issues on the first night of the upgrade. A flaw in the architecture of the system accidentally created a DDOS type of event where the apps were hammering the server in an unsustainable way. Within 24 hours we had added two huge web servers we had the capacity to handle all the requests while we were working on an app update. Once the app was updated the load on the server was no longer a concern.

Some people went through the update at the exact same time as the server load being extremely high. In a few rare cases that caused the backup URL to not work. In those cases they can still re-run the migration using the data on their phone. If they also deleted the app, we can try to pull their data from the old backup server.
andyrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #44
Registered Member

Hi, any luck finding my data?
cchock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #45
Registered Member

So today I noticed that one of my vehicles was missing ALL service logs! So I did a reconversion of the 2.7 data using the url that was emailed to me, and now they are there. I have not sync'd yet because I'm afraid this will cause duplicate vehicles (again- happened to me before). So my questions: 1) will it create duplicate entries? 2) if so, is there a way to clear the sync fuelly.com login first? 3) if not, can I remove that account completely and create a NEW sync account?
bohicaIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 PM   #46
Registered Member

horrible

my data is completely gone. This whole process is ridiculous. How do I find my url? The support people sent me "my" cvs but it is nothing more than form filed choices (fuel type, service type, etc) 6 years of stat just evaporated due to a failed implementation by Fully.

weak
Hembrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #47
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchock View Post
Hi, any luck finding my data?
cchock - your your fuelly mail
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:21 PM   #48
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohicaIL View Post
So today I noticed that one of my vehicles was missing ALL service logs! So I did a reconversion of the 2.7 data using the url that was emailed to me, and now they are there. I have not sync'd yet because I'm afraid this will cause duplicate vehicles (again- happened to me before). So my questions: 1) will it create duplicate entries? 2) if so, is there a way to clear the sync fuelly.com login first? 3) if not, can I remove that account completely and create a NEW sync account?
1) If there are cars in your current profile and you login with your existing cars, then it will duplicate the cars. See the below post for how to delete duplicate cars. You can also delete the cars before your migrate.

http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f41/dup...les-18896.html

2) Yes if you follow the instructions in this post, it will not duplicate your cars. Just make sure to follow the instructions very carefully. The key is to login before you start the migration process.

http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f41/mis...ade-18895.html

3) Yes you can delete an account if you like and create a new one.
FreeLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #49
Registered Member

data url received, and synced on new 3.0 app. thank you!
Old 09-22-2016, 09:15 PM   #50
Registered Member

Data synced ok. Entered two new entries and deleted duplicate service reminders.
Ran sync data again and it's taking forever... Says syncing all data