Gas expected to peak at $3.60 a gallon - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2008, 10:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Still, $5 a gallon would wake a lot of people up and force us to move in the right direction. So far people have resisted any change;finding fault in every idea; new fuels, higher mileage vehicles,drilling in Alaska, etc. No shortage of finger pointing at Government and oil companies. I do hear people complain about gas prices,but still unwilling to hear anything that takes any effort on their part.It affects me much less than those currently wasting so much and making jokes about small cars or anyone that tries to save gas,so I'm not going to cry over the rising prices.I'd rather continue to find ways to save more.

Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
got no kids and I don't drink milk; Lucky me
DITTO

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
got no kids and I don't drink milk; Lucky me
I don't have kids but I single handedly go through a gallon of milk every 5-6 days. $5 a gallon would probably make me drink less of it.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

just buy a cow, at 5$ it would be cheaper
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
Dairy should be removed from the food pyramid
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD26 View Post
True, but business needs profit. If one sells at a loss, you're not going to make up for every loss with volume.

As producers of a product begin to cut back production, and demand remains, prices will go up.

Milk, gasoline. If you don't have to have it, if your family doesn't need it, if your customers and clients don't need it...great, they will continue to have incomes to pay taxes, that increase, and other items that hopefully you supply directly or indirectly through work.
here we go again...

the view that gas prices MUST increase so that usage will decrease is at the very least short sighted.

in case it's not clear to those other than SD26, pay attention:

1)some of us have reduced our consumption already(on fuel and beyond), and many are at the breaking point financially. can you say "massive increase in gov't assistance for the populous?" maybe that's what YOU want, not me.

2)some will NOT change vehicles or driving habits(and lifestyle for that matter) regardless of price. the rich continue to consume and many of the poor/middle class will just go further into debt, ignoring the problem.

3)fuel is one of those products that affects EVERYTHING. if you are a regular consumer of goods and services, then you know that prices of almost everything(food, utilities, cars, hookers, you name it) have increased dramatically which is directly related to fuel prices.

4)other countries are going to continue to increase their consumption, so we might as well get used to it and adjust accordingly. other countries ARE drilling off our coasts, so we might as well too. also, we need new and refurbished refineries.

5)TAXES!...don't get me started. realizing that the price of gas is cheap in regards to the real cost, let's eliminate gas tax altogether!!! let's raise taxes on tobacco, alcohol(sorry clencher), junk food and like products. what about the fair tax? what about asking the gov't to spend like responsible(successful) companies and individuals?

6)it makes me sick that those like my family are being punished...
a)those w/out homeowners insurance get help in a natural disaster
b)those that made a bad choice(price)in their mortgage get bailed out by the gov't
c)those that have debt, get a reduction on interest rates
d)those that are irresponsible in consumer products, create higher prices for the rest
e)those that overconsume healthcare(including illegals) are raising premiums not to mention related gov't costs(more taxes).

these issues(gas being perhaps the most significant outside of gov't spending), are a huge part of the stink in our economy. ENOUGH is ENOUGH.

hey, i'm all for eliminating pollution. but until there's an electric car for less than $5000, the vast majority of us are stuck with gas hogs.

BTW, there needs to be worldwide pollution reducing legislation to pave the way for global fair market. BUT, i am NOT advocating a one world gov't.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
it's breeders and their children that are causing this strain on all resources
Imagine how it would be if your parents thought like that!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
the view that gas prices MUST increase so that usage will decrease is at the very least short sighted...
Great post!

I bought a different vehicle that uses half as much fuel compared to my other one to do the same work. The EPA, in their government based ridiculousness, changes fuel and develops further subsidies that lines the pocket of some groups, increases my taxes, reduces my fuel economy, and further develops new taxes to pay for the subsidies that they have developed that decrease fuel mileage...

My wife now works from home where she doesn't have to drive to work very often at all. I use CFL's in places where I think they will save me money on my electric bill. Yet, taxes have continued to rise to meet the costs that I have attempted to reduce and conserve.

I heard the report that drivers in California have followed the call of legislators to be more fuel efficient in their vehicle buying habits and driving. So, consumption is down. As a result, government revenue is down. So, they are seriously considering more taxation on their fuels.

Government intervention is a giant problem that is getting more and more out of control.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
just buy a cow, at 5$ it would be cheaper
LOL..that's good

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888 View Post
LOL..that's good
Not after minimum wage, employer contributions, property taxes...LOL!

Check your subdivision by laws too.