Coast down test. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

Coast down test.

I did a coast down test today. I used our Rangealturd, Civic and Accord. I posted it on cleanmpg. Anyway heres a link to the thread if interested.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/fuel-...ther-4713.html

psy

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 07:34 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
I did a coast down test today. I used our Rangealturd, Civic and Accord. I posted it on cleanmpg. Anyway heres a link to the thread if interested.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/fuel-...ther-4713.html

psy
Thanx for putting this up. Even simple tests entail a lot of work. It will be interesting to see what Wayne makes of your results. Let us know.

Now you could temporarily paste cardboard on the whole front of your car and get a decent idea of what it might do. Also rear skirts. I would not discount the importance of aero at low speeds. I have seen results I never would have expected.

I also saw across the board improvement with my 5" air dam and again by adding 3" to the bottom of the 5". Again I did not expect what I got, I had improvement at even low speeds.

CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 08:06 PM   #3
Supporting Member

Wink

i love our site more now becuse i dont get that one to easy but that is the original i guess
Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

Interesting results. I doubt that a difference in tires accounts for the difference in coasting on the Civic and Accord. Most likely, the extra mass of the Accord simply provides for more momentum at the start of the run until the aerodynamic forces are reduced. The pickup of course is hobbled from the start.

I think, therefore I doubt.
Snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snax View Post
Interesting results. I doubt that a difference in tires accounts for the difference in coasting on the Civic and Accord. Most likely, the extra mass of the Accord simply provides for more momentum at the start of the run until the aerodynamic forces are reduced. The pickup of course is hobbled from the start.
The Accord way out coast the Civic. I think there are several things at work here. Weight being one, and the Accord handles the wind good also. Also remember the Accord tires are 9 psi less than the Civics. Also the Accord and Civic were finishing there coast on a up hill grade.

The Accord is still on its OEM Mickeys and the Civic is still on its OEM Bridgestones. The Mickeys are a LLR tire at about a $140 bucks each to replace. The Civic has EL-400's on it. Not that I think the Civic would coast any better on Insight wheels and RE-92's. I sometimes regret not buying a 06 Accord SE Sedan with a 5MT in it.

After all xcel @ cleanmpg is getting mid to high 50 mpg tanks on a box stock Accord EXL I4, 5AT. Same car as the wifes execpt he has leather navi and auto climate control. Drive trade is the same.

Something to be said for those Accords.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote