My WAI - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #41
Registered Member

I had been using the area of my 3" duct to compute how much the shield needed to be moved forward, but that is an overestimate, so I measured the kidney shaped duct from the picture I took. It came out to basically 50% as much, so while the shield does still need to moved with spacers, they can be a lot smaller than the initial guess. Around 3/16" or so is my estimate. This lower area requirement means I can make the wide end of the adapter shorter, giving more clearance to the plastic engine cover, which was something I worried about. Going into town today, so I can see if anyone carries the metric bolts I need.

Scratch that, the existing bolts are long enough for 3/16" spacers. Nice.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #42
Registered Member

Trying to angle in a manifold shield with nine stacked washers held on by three hard drive magnets in very close proximity to large pieces of iron and steel.

What could go wrong?

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #43
Registered Member

Yep, the dipstick tube and manifold would invariably pull off one of the magnets enough to spill the washers. Also, having to center the manifold shield without being able to look through the holes was a lot tougher than I expected. I finally used a bit of Elmer's glue to make the washers into a stack and then glued them to the manifold, being careful not to get glue in the threads. Worked like a charm. After I run for a bit I'll make sure the glue burning off hasn't created gaps, loosening them. There is now a respectable gap at the top of the manifold I can work with, but it's not obviously modified for warranty purposes. The O2 sensor not being centered in the hole anymore is the only real clue.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 08:14 AM   #44
Registered Member

these magnets you speak of. how strong are they and may I offer an alternative?

if you have an old hard drive (or access to one) they have stupid strong magnets in them that might be helpful.

though it sounds like you have gotten most of this figured out. let us know when you have results. how are things looking and are you enjoying the scangauge?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #45
Registered Member

The glue got the job done. The magnets were hard drive ones I got from a surplus place. Stupid strong is right! magnets were just the wrong way to approach it, since I really had to squeeze the shield around things to guide it over the O2 sensor. Brought it too close to other metal bits.

The SG2 is great, although it isn't calibrated yet. Once I do that I'm going to take mpg readouts on that reasonably level stretch in 5 mph increments from 30 to 65. Be a neat graph.

I toyed with mounting it in with my gauges, but it's good enough in glare (and there's a lot in that space already, especially when I have my TomTom along) that I'm going with a center console mount. By chance it fits in the default holder very well. I had the LOD gauge selected this morning and it showed 25 when I was coasting in neutral (engine on). That seems weird.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 08:29 AM   #46
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
A similar glue trick is hammering nails too high to reach. A dab of silicone holds the nail to the hammer (you don't have to wait for it to set), and you give it one good whack to get it started.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM   #47
Registered Member

That's a great idea! I have this book called Tricks of the Trades that has all sorts of neat tips like that. Don't think it has that one though.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #48
Registered Member

OK, got the adapter made. This gets the air out from the top of the shield, so it stays flat for a couple inches then funnels to a 2" square tube. This can fit inside my 3" duct and has enough flow area. I changed the design from the drawing to have the hose hook to the back. I think this will work out, but if not I can add a 90" bend to it easily enough later. I tried to make the halves interlock as much as possible, but still needed eight rivets to keep things stiff. Wish my spot welder was working!

Here are the two pieces before assembly.

Assembled, bottom view.

Assembled, side view. Note the drilling screw up.

Assembled, back view.

Here's a close up of one of the tabs that will hold it in place. I'll just bend it backwards to hook onto the manifold shield.

I need to design the air bypass, which will go on the top, since it has the largest flat area. This is the most complicated sheet metal part I've ever made and the fit could be a little better, but I'm just an amateur. I'll seal it with some high temperature mastic I had left over from my chimney installation.

co de pen den cy

Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #49
Registered Member

not to be critical but...

is the square footage (square inchage maybe) of both openings of that the same?

I am not that great at eye balling it but you don't want a restriction there. I do like the construction as long as it isn't a restriction. also, how do those figures lign up with the square footage (square inchage) of the first bean shaped piece?

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
not to be critical but...
is the square footage (square inchage maybe) of both openings of that the same?
This definitely counts as constructive, so no worries! Not quite the same, but they're both above the minimum. The square end is 2"x2" and the slot end is .5" x 9". I did that intentionally because there are a few obstructions under the shield. The bean was 3.53 sq in, so I have some safety margin. Thanks for the sanity check.

co de pen den cy