Catch 22 - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Registered Member

this is my steering rack and

this is my steering rack and the line is pointing to the ripped boot.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
Registered Member

Not an expert, but...

I'm not a mechanic by any means, but it looks like right above the boot is the place where your steering column meets up with the rack and diverts pressure onto the piston to move it back and forth. The tubes you see running to the shaft are the pressure lines that "help" the rack to move more easily.

Actually, if you have a leak from your boot, there may be a bigger problem here. The boot is merely a protector for a stronger seal. It sounds like inside the boot, the seal is failing. Some PS "Stop-Leak" might do the trick (available at any auto parts shop).

Lastly, it looks like the only premature wear would occur within the piston (minimal) and at the column/rack gear possibly more significant. It looks as if the PS fluid may actually lubricate this gearset (my mistake earlier). The trick is, if you can seal-off the system with some fluid still in it, then it will continue to lubricate the whole works, but if it leaks out, then that's nil.

Bascially, picture the inside of a liftgate strut or the storm-door closing mechanism -- similar concept of hydraulic/pneumatic piston function.

RH77

Old 04-04-2006, 10:47 AM   #13
Driving on E

Re: Guys where did you get the

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I don't believe it's really an issue of lubrication. I think the PS pump is simply a hydraulic assist device that receives input from the steering wheel and helps it along through a high-pressure line to the steering rack. All of the other components are sealed and have lubrication of their own. I'm not sure which boot is leaking exactly...I'm thinking it's where the pump line meets the rack, right?

RH77
I'm unsure if Nissans are like Hondas or not, but I know with a Honda the PS fluid actually lubricates the steering rack. If you want to remove PS you have to either swap racks or get a kit that maintains a small amount of fluid to lubricate the column.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #14
Registered Member

Re: Guys where did you get the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
I don't believe it's really an issue of lubrication. I think the PS pump is simply a hydraulic assist device that receives input from the steering wheel and helps it along through a high-pressure line to the steering rack. All of the other components are sealed and have lubrication of their own. I'm not sure which boot is leaking exactly...I'm thinking it's where the pump line meets the rack, right?

RH77
I'm unsure if Nissans are like Hondas or not, but I know with a Honda the PS fluid actually lubricates the steering rack. If you want to remove PS you have to either swap racks or get a kit that maintains a small amount of fluid to lubricate the column.
After I saw the schematic that was posted, I started to realize that it's probably integral in lubrication. I know it would ruin the rack for the life of the car, but what would happen if you put heavy gear grease in there and disconnected the PS, and seal up the rack? I'm just trying to picture the Honda manual steering system -- basically the column hooked to a gearbox that translates the motion (and I assume in the box is filled with heavy grease).

RH77
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
Registered Member

Hopefully it's just the

Hopefully it's just the boot, because the dealer was very hesitant to fix my current system. If they open it up and find out something else is broken it would be better just to replace the entire rack.

The boot doesn't even look ripped it's leaking where the ring sits on top of the boot to hold it down to the rack.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Registered Member

Re: Hopefully it's just the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
The boot doesn't even look ripped it's leaking where the ring sits on top of the boot to hold it down to the rack.
Not sure, but that doesn't sound good. Honestly, try the "Stop-Leak" stuff. I fixed a radiator leak with a similar product and an old Oldsmobile transmission.

RH77
Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #17
Registered Member

what is the brand of

what is the brand of it???

And if it doesn't stop the leak, what's next?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #18
Registered Member

Dunno

Bascially you know that wall of all kinds of automotive fluids at the parts store -- in there somewhere is called "Power Steering Stop Leak". Different companies make it, so there will be some choices. I think any brand will do. If that doesn't work, we'll escalate to "Plan-B" as necessary.

RH77
Old 04-05-2006, 02:20 AM   #19
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
why it leaks

rh77 has a great point - the boot only protects the exposed shaft of the rack that travels through the seal so that the seal does not get damaged. If the seal is leaking then there probably is damage to the shaft (nick or scratch) and or the bushings holding the shaft centered in the seals. You already have a bigger problem and I don't think you are going to get away cheep at the dealers. Next test is to see if turning the wheels under heavy loads makes it leak more.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #20
Registered Member

I won't know if the seal is

I won't know if the seal is leaking unless I put a new boot on and it leaks again.