Extra Vehicle Capacity - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Fuel Talk > General Fuel Topics
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #31
Site Team / Moderator

One thing that is overlooked here is that owning more than one vehicle comes with increased registration, insurance, and property tax fees. Unless you plan on owning all older vehicles (Like I do) these costs can be very expensive.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:45 AM   #32
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteOwner View Post
oh dont get me started on that, in my area theres a stetch of exremely expensive houses(like $400,000+) and people were driving too fast on thier street so they got the city to put speed humps or traffic calming, its like a huge flat speedbump. the speed limits 30 and you can take them doing that and then some but no people in the tahoes exlorers and whatnot slow down to 15 slowly creep over em and then gun it...
LOL, all my vehicles take "speed humps" in stride. A friend of mine lives in an area that has these "humps" and I never slow down for them, the truck glides right over them at the speed limit and you hardly notice them.

-Jay

Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #33
Registered Member

Quote:
isnt that true with huge suv's hitting economy cars too?
Yes. My point was more about how hidden costs and connections make personal responsibility / liability issues a lot more complicated than many believe, often ruling out simple answers. I blame our media for this misconception to a large degree. How often has a news agency oversimplified something? A common example that makes me grind my teeth is when the results of a preliminary study are announced, despite the fact that a single preliminary study is not sufficiently rigorous proof of anything! Or the desire to present both sides of an issue in a "fair" manner. I once heard a radio news piece on acupuncture where an clip from a medical researcher was put at an equal level with one from just a random acupuncture patient. No attempt to qualify either of them accordingly.

Quote:
speaking of levies and PREVENTATIVE maintenance...(New Orleans 2005 ring a bell? lol)
Should the new part of New Orleans even have been built? The old part was on high ground. I sort of regretted using levies as an example right after I hit submit.

Quote:
lol and were free to sue whatever the heck we want when we hurt our retarded selves
Our system is set up to be litigious in nature. If insurance covered injuries / damages, then all that would be left would be criminal court work. That'd get victims money faster and remove ambulance chasers from the loop. That idea's been around forever.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #34
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
I was unaware that you could do that. I thought no amount of extra fees made it possible for someone under 25 to rent.
When I went on a trip with my mother to France I couldn't drive the rental car because I was one week shy of my 23rd birthday. We were more amused than annoyed.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #35
Registered Member

Not directly for vehicles, but related:

I've often tried to figure out how the legalities of a neighborhood co-owning a riding lawn mower would work, rather than everyone having their own or using a lawn mowing service.

Some cities have "tool libraries" which is another interesting model. Seems a little unfair to those who pay taxes but don't use it. Maybe a non-profit rental system would be better?

co de pen den cy

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM   #36
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Should the new part of New Orleans even have been built? The old part was on high ground. I sort of regretted using levies as an example right after I hit submit.

Our system is set up to be litigious in nature. If insurance covered injuries / damages, then all that would be left would be criminal court work. That'd get victims money faster and remove ambulance chasers from the loop. That idea's been around forever.
1. No, but people love to build beautiful homes right on the water with no respect for the fact that they live on a floodplain. IMHO there are sections of New Orleans that should never be rebuilt because of this.

There are also those who build oceanfront beachhouses that get wiped out by hurricaines, then the Gov't then gives these people money to rebuild them again. Next time you go to the beach take note of all the homes built right on the beach. Most of them are less than 10 years old. Why? Because they get taken down by storms frequently.

2. Insurance does cover that, the problem lies in 2 places.

First: The person causing the damages is either uninsured, or under-insured.

Second: Too many people out there think that if they're in the slightest accident that they can get a huge settlement and never have to work again.

-Jay

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #37
Registered Member

well most auto parts stores have a free tool loaner program, dunno how many things ive borrowed for one task (coil spring compressors i mean how often do u replace those things)

hmm legalities of neighborhood lawnmower thing is a good idea but also too many problems, what if one guys yard takes 5 hours and the other 30 minutes? what if it breaks down? what if said person breaks it or it wears out on one individual when all are at fault? still gotta buy gas for it and sharpen the blades...

ideas good but too many probems in my eyes
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 10:01 AM   #38
Site Team / Moderator

My uncle used to live in a neighborhood that didn't allow pickup trucks to be parked in view (If you had one you had to keep it in the garage). The homeowner's association owned and maintained a pickup truck that any homeowner could use for the day with a written request beforehand.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
hmm legalities of neighborhood lawnmower thing is a good idea but also too many problems, what if one guys yard takes 5 hours and the other 30 minutes? what if it breaks down? what if said person breaks it or it wears out on one individual when all are at fault? still gotta buy gas for it and sharpen the blades...

ideas good but too many probems in my eyes
That's why I've only "tried" to figure out a good system! I keep trying though.

co de pen den cy

Old 03-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
My uncle used to live in a neighborhood that didn't allow pickup trucks to be parked in view (If you had one you had to keep it in the garage). The homeowner's association owned and maintained a pickup truck that any homeowner could use for the day with a written request beforehand.
yea paid by and maintained by homeowners association fees... so some people pay for a truck they never use. lol i personally hate neighborhoods like that or the ones that only allow a maximum of 2 cars in view on your property

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote