Filter catch can - Page 8 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #71
*shrug*

It screws into the top I think, so unscrew the bottom and take it out (if I recall correctly, it's not terribly complicated).

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:19 PM   #72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
It screws into the top I think, so unscrew the bottom and take it out (if I recall correctly, it's not terribly complicated).
got it off, there was some crap in there, you took yours out too right? cause from the first pics you had up on the DIY it shows it still on

SupraRXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:20 PM   #73
*shrug*

I took mine out right after I put it on because I spaced on it until I was done the install.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:47 AM   #74
Registered Member

If you take the filter out then how does the catch can extract the oil from the vapors? Wouldn't that negate the whole purpose?
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:50 AM   #75
*shrug*

The oil falls out because it is heavier, just look at mine. If you leave the filter in it will get clogged and the oil will not be able to make it's way into the jar and you will not longer be filtering anything.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard
If you take the filter out then how does the catch can extract the oil from the vapors? Wouldn't that negate the whole purpose?
thats what i was thinking at first

another thing is i posted up on another forum, they all were bashing saying that i didnt need to do this cause my car is stock

this is what they wrote
"First off, a oil catch can is to catch oil that may be contributed by blow by (mainly from high hp cars or turbo cars) Blow by ruins the air fuel mixture and can lower the octane level of your gasoline, thus making your car detonate.

A stock d series motor does not need an oil catch can. The stock PCV is perfect enough for it."
SupraRXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:18 PM   #77
Registered Member

Those filters are for filtering air in regulated compressed air systems, not for filtering fluids. They saturate with fluids so quickly you would eventually negate the purpose of the catch can since oil would be blowing straight through the filter.

I still need to install one...
Old 06-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #78
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraRXZ
thats what i was thinking at first

another thing is i posted up on another forum, they all were bashing saying that i didnt need to do this cause my car is stock

this is what they wrote
"First off, a oil catch can is to catch oil that may be contributed by blow by (mainly from high hp cars or turbo cars) Blow by ruins the air fuel mixture and can lower the octane level of your gasoline, thus making your car detonate.

A stock d series motor does not need an oil catch can. The stock PCV is perfect enough for it."
ah let them think that. to a degree they are right. the higher hp motors especially turbo motors need a catch can more than the stock d. the effects on a turbo motor are much greater. which means buying a more expensive catch can would be justified.

however there are still benefits to having one on any car, so the $10 filter works just fine for the d. so my advice: let the morons have the thread. they have obviously never cracked open a d-series intake manifold and seen the tar from the pcv system. there is no need to fight with them since experience has much more leverage in changing someones mind than some guy online. just let them figure it out the hard way.

what everyone is saying about the filter is true, its too dense. steal wool would be idea for allowing the oil vapors to condense and probably the most effective "filtering" media, even though it technically doesnt filter.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #79
Registered Member

Okay, I'll go ahead and take the filter out tonight. Would it be beneficial to add a bit of steel wool in there?
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #80
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90CivicStandard
Okay, I'll go ahead and take the filter out tonight. Would it be beneficial to add a bit of steel wool in there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
steal wool would be idea for allowing the oil vapors to condense and probably the most effective "filtering" media, even though it technically doesnt filter.
the more oil vapor that condenses, the less goes into the intake manifold.